jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What mode of discipline administered by parents yields the quickest results amon

1. Anjili profile image81
    Anjiliposted 5 years ago

What mode of discipline administered by parents yields the quickest results among adolescents?

Do the youth adopt parental influence quickly enough?

2. melissaschulz profile image61
    melissaschulzposted 5 years ago

I know with my son when he was a teenager. You have to hit them where it hurt. taking away the car, the cellphone. These are great ways to get their attention and they know your not playing around. But being consistent is the key with any type of discipline.

3. blaeberry profile image61
    blaeberryposted 5 years ago

I find that cutting off the supply of cash works best.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

With teenagers, I think that taking away social interactions works best as they are highly social creatures.  Cell phones, driving privileges, computer times, talking on the phone at home, or going out on the weekend.  But be sure they understand why it is happening and the result you want to see.

The first time I was ever grounded after moving in with my aunt and uncle was for doing something I didn't know was wrong. Went to a boyfriend's house for dinner.  We walked over to another friend's house for a few minutes and my uncle called and I wasn't there.

I had no clue I was not supposed to leave the boyfriend's house. So to this day at age 60, having raised two kids myself - I still resent that grounding and think it was unfair.

So be sure kids understand what you want, what is expected from them and the result you want by restricting their activities. I am a big one for open communication - lay it all out.

5. Rev. Akins profile image75
    Rev. Akinsposted 5 years ago

I think the best results are going to come from consistent discipline. As long as the discipline is not too severe or administered too lax, the child will learn what is right and what is expected. If they are anything like my children, or me as a child, they will most likely find the line of right and wrong and stand on it. You need to choose your battles wisely, and make sure than when you start a fight, you win. Be consistent and show love in what you do.