jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Why do toddlers put things under the bed?

1. brittvan22 profile image81
    brittvan22posted 5 years ago

Why do toddlers put things under the bed?

My four year old uses underneath her bed as a treasure chest for anything. I found lost earrings under there. How do you put a stop to it? I make her clean her room, but she keeps doing it. Need Help! Should I lie and say a monster is under there or something?

2. breathe2travel profile image78
    breathe2travelposted 5 years ago

Implement a rule that whatever she puts under there she loses for three days & stick to it.  Do not lie!  That builds mistrust.

3. brittvan22 profile image81
    brittvan22posted 5 years ago

I agree with you 100% thanks, I am going to try this with Maria asap!

1. breathe2travel profile image78
      breathe2travelposted 5 years agoin reply to this

smile  I hope it helps.  I know when I am consistent with my children, "restrictions" from privileges or toys works well as an incentive.

4. songbirdmom profile image58
    songbirdmomposted 5 years ago

ROFL my 4 year old son does something similar.  He just stores it all IN his bed and when he goes to sleep at night he has diecast cars all up under his pillows, its so he can play with them instead of sleeping.  Maybe your 4 year old is hiding it under the bed for the same reason?  I do agree with breathe2travel though.  I just make my son put it away before bed every night or allow him to keep one toy on his night stand.

5. Catherine Kane profile image82
    Catherine Kaneposted 5 years ago

I'd say it's probably because it's a place they can reach, that grownups can't see as easily

Do you need to put a stop to it, or just stop her from boosting your earrings?

working