jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Silverfish under my bed?

1. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

Silverfish under my bed?

I found several silverfish under my mattress. Did these fishes came from the old books that I store in my bedroom?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12188629_f260.jpg

2. RBJ33 profile image60
    RBJ33posted 3 years ago

I don't know that they came from the books but they like to feed on books.  They like damp dark areas.  Do you have high humidity where you live?  They are tough to get rid of - lots of tips on Google about killing them, but in order to get rid of them you have to exterminate thier nests and eggs - they reproduce at a rapid rate.

peachpurpleposted 3 years agoin reply to this

thanks, no wonder they keep breeding, the nest must be in the mattress or the books.

3. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 3 years ago

Finding silverfish in your bedding is alarming, but keep in mind that they don't bite and don't spread disease. Besides the cellulose in paper, they like eating natural fibers incl. cotton, wool, and linen. I suggest  thoroughly vacuuming your mattress/box spring and washing bed linens to remove any tiny eggs. You can purchase silverfish packets that contain boric acid powder. When they eat the attractive packets, the powder is toxic to them. This is the easiest and safest to use as long as you keep them away from pets and kids. In this case they will be under your mattress and under the bed. All the best:)

thanks for your elaborate answer. I will try vacuuming

4. Susan Guinn profile image75
    Susan Guinnposted 3 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eg8M33 … detailpage

Watch this peachpurple.  I Hope this helps.  A spray bottle, water and an orange Essential oil (has to be 100% pure)

thanks, i will look at the youtube video

5. The Examiner-1 profile image74
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

They do not bite, but they nip you and leave a red spot which besides being red it itches for 1-2 days. Put dryer sheets (I use them for bed bugs) or mothballs under your mattress and anywhere that you see them. If you squash one pour bleach on that area or else it attracts other silverfish. I hope that this helps. Good luck getting rid of them.

thanks, i will try the moth balls

6. paperfacets profile image90
    paperfacetsposted 3 years ago

These bugs love paper. We have them and we can not seem to get rid of them. If you do have paper stored in the house you will start noticing wiggly eaten marks around the edges of paper items.

We have used boric acid and still have them. We are pretty entrenched into our house. lol Meaning we have long stored stuff in lower cabinets and even on the floor between furniture.  I am convinced we will not rid the house of them till floors are completely clutter free, so no dust can gather in hidden corners even the lower floor cabinets.

I hope you can beat them back. They are creepy.

yes, pretty quick at crawling too

2. The Examiner-1 profile image74
      The Examiner-1posted 3 years agoin reply to this

You want creepy? In my house I saw a wolf spider once, there are cockroaches regularly, a slug on my sofa, a black caterpillar-like something on the stove, fruit flies, ants and on and on...

3. peachpurple profile image81

eww, those pest are creepy than expected

working