jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you know when you are ready to have a child?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image76
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

How do you know when you are ready to have a child?

With rising cost of child rearing, doubts on one's ability to take care of a human being whether physically and emotionally, how can one really know  when they are ready to have a child?

2. pippap profile image86
    pippapposted 5 years ago

I'd don't think anyone really knows when they are ready to have a child.  When I was younger, I did an awful lot of babysitting and various other forms of child care.  I thought I was ready.

Well, being on call 24/7/365 is a vastly different experience that nothing but parenthood can prepare you for.  Your life ceases to be your own; and, the emotional rollercoaster ride - sickness, injury, bullying, bad choices, drugs, pregnancy, etc - is enough to turn you grey before your time.  I was completely grey at 40.

Having said that, I had 2 daughters and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

3. sashenikainderby profile image60
    sashenikainderbyposted 5 years ago

I was ready to have a baby physically and emotionally when I was 25 years old but I could not afford it and I was not sure in my partner either. Then I got married to my present husband and moved to another country but we had doubts about our marriage because dating was one thing and living together was another. So, we both decided to wait to have kids for a year or two.
    When we finally commited ourselves to have a child, I was about 30 years old and it took me another year to get pregnant.

Some people think too much, others just get on with their lives and there is a fine line between living your life and being afraid of making mistakes.

4. yeagerinvestments profile image86
    yeagerinvestmentsposted 5 years ago

I was never 100% sure I wanted a baby, but my wife wanted to start a family and so we did. It was the best thing I ever did and you learn how to work the finances out but I would not recommend it if you have tons of debt or other major issues in the marriage because having a baby certainly complicates life 100 fold.