Vinegar or hot sauce? Good or Bad discipline of a younger naughty child ?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)
  1. nanadolls profile image60
    nanadollsposted 11 years ago

Vinegar or hot sauce? Good or Bad discipline of a younger naughty child ?

The punishment for being saucy, telling a lie, swearing, just being really bad and nasty child is  vinegar or Hot sauce.  My son & daughter-in-law give their children a small drop of vinegar or hot sauce, as a last resort for punishment.  I struggle with this. How do others feel about it?

2. sethpowers profile image58
    sethpowersposted 11 years ago

Do the words cruel and unusual punishment mean anything to you? How would you like it if someone dumped a spicy hot or foul tasting liquid down your throat? You wouldn't and neither do children. That is unfathomably reprehensible.

Children shouldn't be subject to bizarre punishments simply because of their age. Why not approach the subject like you would (read: hopefully) another adult and discuss the issue to come to a mutually agreeable solution. Children make these mistakes out of genuine ignorance not malice, so it's much better to try to understand why they did something and teach them not to do it again then to perpetuate their behavior and make them hate you by abusing them. They may be younger, smaller, and (in some cases) less intelligent but children are still human beings; probably the purest, most carefree individuals on the planet. Don't destroy that because you hate your life. They deserve the same respect as everyone else.

nanadollsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do not agree with this. I struggle with it but it seems to work by just using the threat. I was never a parent who used physical abuse as a form of punishment. My sons sat on a stool in the corner.

sethpowersposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Even rudimentary psychology disparages the use of negative reinforcement to promote good behavior. Try talking to your kids and helping them improve as people by giving them respect. You'd be surprised how many issues are resolved by the golden rule.

3. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

This is a form of child abuse and once was exposed on Dr. Phil along with several other TV shows. Being a parent is about teaching. A parent has something wrong with them if they are unable to teach by using words and instead have to make up crazy punishments or abusive techniques. I love my children and could never imagine putting hot sauce in their mouths. Perhaps you could talk them into attending parenting class or buy them some books on how to deal with a child's bad behavior.

Wished I had seen this on Dr Phil. I do not agree with it. Inever physically punished my sons. They had corner time outs.

I bet the people who do this are the same people who rub animal's faces in their own excrement. Just the thought of these abject wastes of space disgusts me. I am embarrassed to even be a part of the same species.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

As someone who works for a therapist I will tell you it is considered abuse and should be reported.

It is a form of torture and believe me if it worked, a parent would only have to do it once --but it does not work but it will leave an emotional scar.

I agree with the abuse & I would never do this.

Kudos duffsmom, you make a great point!

5. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

neither. both are basically child abuse in my eyes. if your kids are that bad, it's the parents fault almost every time. instead of doing something cruel like vinegar or hot sauce, look at yourself and you will find the problem.

I totally agree but how does one tell her daughter-in-law she has a parenting problem. I would never do this.

2. peeples profile image95
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No offense nanadolls, but ask yourself who sits back and doesn't say anything? While it may be easier to ignore the problem you need to find a way to address the issue. Even if it is not simple or makes her angry.

3. nightwork4 profile image59
      nightwork4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

it's not about you and her, it's about those poor kids. we have to stand up for kids and one way to do it is by letting anyone know that what they are doing is wrong.

6. BeCurious profile image60
    BeCuriousposted 11 years ago

This makes me feel very sad.  This is a tricky one.  Obviously, it is wrong and abusive. Clearly you are uncomfortable with it. I really feel for you.  I'm guessing that you may be afraid of alienating your son and daughter-in-law about it and that would also affect your relationship with your grandchildren.
    Are you able to talk to your son?  Can you ask to speak with him privately?  If so, I might say exactly what you feel:  That you struggle with it. 
    Tell them you love them (your son and daughter in law) and that you are afraid they will be angry with you if you tell them how you feel about it.  Tell them you fear their reaction to you for speaking up about it. Tell them you struggle with it because you love your grandchildren and you see that this form of punishment hurts them.  Tell them you know it is difficult to teach and discipline children but teaching them should never hurt them. Tell them that you're afraid this way of punishing them will make them angrier or resentful of their parents later on and this makes you sad.  If any of that resonates with you, tell them.  You might want to have some positive discipline alternatives ready to suggest to them, if they are open to it.
    Tell them how you feel.  Tell them the truth.  Be very honest.  They may sense your feelings about it anyway. 
    Bottom line:  Children who are being abused need the adults in their lives who witness it to speak up for them.  I'm afraid you'll regret it if you do nothing.
    Good luck.

Thank you for understanding. You are completely correct. I wanted feedback to find if if this was something new that parents of "today" did? It is something I would never ever do. I never even spanked my sons as I felt it was abusive and now this.

2. BeCurious profile image60
      BeCuriousposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Trust your instincts.

7. worriedturtle profile image57
    worriedturtleposted 11 years ago

I have never heard of anyone doing this until today I found out someone in my family was doing this to their child.  I was absolutely horrified when I heard the story.  I think this abusive both psychologically and physically.  I don't know what to do.  Makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

I agree. I posted this question because I had never heard of it being done before. My son struggles but my daughter - in-law has no problem giving vinegar to my 4 yr old granddaughter and she's a professional theapist.

2. worriedturtle profile image57
      worriedturtleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The thing that really bothered me is that the little boy this happened to is only a four years old.  He had this done to him for saying a curse word.  He was pinned down on the floor and had a syringe of vinegar forced into his mouth while crying.

3. nanadolls profile image60

Sounds just like what hppens to my granddaughter, somewhere in therapist country this has had to have been suggested. As I read the answers to my question the more upset I become. I have decided to tell my daughter-in-law I do not approved pls stop.

8. twig22bend profile image72
    twig22bendposted 11 years ago

Speak to your son, alone. Let him know that you want them to stop this method of discipline at once. The reason is because it is wrong and you do not approve of it.

Suggest "downtime", the child will have to go their room or sit somewhere alone without interacting with anyone for a few minutes.

Grandparents today seem to be hesitant about discussing such issues with the now grown child that they have raised. Maybe no one has told them that this not a good choice of discipline. You have a right to discuss this issue with your son. As they say, "It takes a village to raise a child". Parents need all the help that they can get. If you get an adverse response form him, at least you know that you did try to help remedy this issue.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)