Rude Questions about the number of children you have

Jump to Last Post 51-62 of 62 discussions (187 posts)
  1. thirdmillenium profile image59
    thirdmilleniumposted 14 years ago

Tell them the next twins are on the way

2. Chloe Comfort profile image59
    Chloe Comfortposted 14 years ago

My best friend had a similar problem. Both him and his wife are very Italian looking (dark hair, darkk eyes, olive skin), yet, both their children have red hair and fair skin (obviously from somewhere on their family tree - grandparents I believe).

They are and have always been asked if the children are theirs or are they adopted  - by complete stangers - all the time.

Now, when one of them is asked that question - their response is - "Listen - marriage isn't easy - everyone makes mistakes - we are just trying to put the past behind us get back on track - thank you very much!" and then they walk off leaving the person who asked them the question standing there shocked (and they're grinning and giggling). I've been witness to this! I'll even help (if I happen to be there when it happens)- by casting the person a look as we are walking away - only to have that person apologize saying "Sorry, I didn't know". Might make them think next time before asking.

P.S. The children never hear the comment as they are already on the move with the parent who chooses not to comment - they take turns.

1. Merriweather profile image61
      Merriweatherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is hilarious.

3. palmerlarryray profile image66
    palmerlarryrayposted 14 years ago

I would have looked around at the kids and screamed "Who are these kids?  And why are they calling me Dad?"

4. profile image0
    AdviceDoctorposted 14 years ago

Answer with a full face. Although, I have a 4 year old with ADD and ADHD, and he tends to get a little out of control, and when people ask me "He yours?" I sometimes go like "Nooo.. No idea who this is"

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL, they could be an angel; at times, and be very bad at times too, but then they are just children, all they need is love and discipline too

5. Elyse Eaton profile image60
    Elyse Eatonposted 14 years ago

I have three kids and get the "you have your hands full" all the time.  I just nod my head and smile.  The really rude question, I think is, "You DO know how what causes that, don't you?!"  I haven't been able to figure out a graceful answer to that one yet.

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"You DO know how what causes that, don't you?"

My answer is yeah. I know what causes and I know how it happens, I F&&K My partner and we create them, like GOD did you.

6. h.a.borcich profile image61
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

More than a few of my friends have 5-8 children and have been addressed like that by strangers. I just can't imagine have 6 kids aged 2 -20. They do great with it though!
      My brother and his wife have 4 kids about 11 months apart...When the last one was born I offered to buy them a tv so they had something else to do! He is my little brother and knew I meant it with love...and they took me up on the tv!

7. moanalisa profile image61
    moanalisaposted 14 years ago

I often get "rude" comments about my two girls being 12 years apart. Yes, the most often asked question is "oh, are they by the same father?"

Should I ever feel obliged to explain that my husband was a police officer, severely injured on the job, couldn't even walk for 2 years and to have our second was very much a miracle after having the doctors tell us that to conceive would be so unlikely?

No, it's not their business and I really don't care what they think. I just simply smile and say "yes, same father" as if it could be any other way. They are the ones that wind up feeling uncomfortable for even asking.

8. profile image56
    leila87posted 14 years ago

i have four children as well and the comment that i hate is 'you dont look old enough too have four'

9. Michellcat profile image59
    Michellcatposted 14 years ago

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Have all the kids you want. That's your right. It's nobody's business.

The world does not come into it. I'm not sure why you feel you have to say "the world needs my children." The world doesn't need anybody's children, and shouldn't have to. It should be enough that your children are wanted by you. That's why you had them, and not as some personal favor to the "world."

As long as you're happy, and the kids are happy, that should be all that matters.

and swtwin2, when people ask "how do you do it," you could look at them very concerned and say, "oh, my dear, didn't your parents tell you? You see, when a mommy and a daddy love each other very much...."

10. profile image0
    Citrus000posted 14 years ago

People ask me how the kids are doing......I don't have any kids! hmm

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

really?  same here?  people always ask me how my wife and kids are doing?  which is funny because I don't have kids, and i don't wear a wedding ring or any ring for that matter.

plus, what's really annoys me are the other ones that assume that i'm automatically a virgin and had no girl friends, just because im shy and wear glasses.  when in reality i have slept with a girl before, and had my fair share of short lived romances.  yet, people seem to always make random assumptions about me that aren't true before at least listening to me.  that's what really bothers me.

11. Ladybird33 profile image67
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

It is amazing what will pop out of people's mouth without thinking what they are saying. You are blessed and she was just jealous (sad,but true).

12. profile image52
    Enord Nysposted 9 years ago

Hi Merriweather

Very interesting, what happened to you in the Pharmacy,

I am not an expert on children neither am I beset by the expert syndrome malady, thus I am in no position to respond as to how many children one should and should not have and since you have put your encounter on this space I shall take it that you do wish to discern my response. You are not sincere by letting yourself into public space only to hear what you perceive as pleasant, in fact I am constantly sharing with my children that they should treat what we refer to as "compliments" with some disdain. I am trying to alert them to the fact that anyone who says something "nice" to them without knowing them is often vulgar and inappropriate as anyone who says something that they may not be comfortable with, they should learn to believe in themselves no matter what the circumstances. Talk about child propaganda. I have seen individuals who have had their entire days ruined simply because someone said something seemingly "unpleasant" to them and I have also seen people light up because someone said something that they felt it made them feel good about themselves. I have seldom been affected by comments, lewd, lascivious or otherwise and for that I was often labelled as arrogant. Believe me even if you had a litter of ferrets with you it would have been your choice to have a litter of ferrets and nobody else's business.

The expert syndrome also seeks to dictate that some people should not have children beyond their means, what means are they referring to I can only wonder, how would a total stranger know what means your children deserve, they probably are dictators in their own households to their children and probably their consorts under the guise of discipline and they also probably deem themselves as providers, how do we know as a collective that what we provide our offsprings is what the indeed deserve, the "Good parent syndrome" I can probably guess that most of us have a reasonable idea of what a good parent is or ought to be, I once heard an individual say that "anyone is good with other people's children, give them their own and they are most likely fail"  This was someone drunk in a public commute, someone who would not espouse much "credibility"  as per some experts, believe me it was not me, even during the days when I  thought I could drown all the alcohol I never did it in a public commute.

The long and shot of it is that I don't know you and probably the individual that you met in the pharmacy, I am not certain why you had children in the first place, you probably aren't that sure yourself why you had children let alone three, you have them and I hope you are doing your best to raise them, and I sincerely hope you do just what they deserve to realise their path on this universe, beyond that it is nobody's business as to how many children you have and why you have them. And please do not allow anyone to influence how you feel about yourself and your children furthermore if you are going to feel that it is fine for strange individuals to chit chat your children in public spaces shame on you for taking offense when the same strange individuals utter things that you deem strange. If I was an expert or subscribed to the notion of experts I would probably ascribe that to esteem issues,

Don't allow anyone to determine who you are or who you should be you are what you are and that is it!

Those experts who think they have the correct ration as to how many children they should have based on their external material acquisitions are the ones who end saying this; "I After all we have done for you, after all we have provided, do you know how many children would kill for this life and privilege?" are the ones who think they have the right to determine global populations and the curtailing thereof, Believe me they are worse because they seldom know what they want, they follow what they refer to as family tradition and they derive pleasure and a sense of accomplishment by feeling better than others and their names being associated with certain organisations, institutions of cognitive education 

Have fun and ciao

Ernord Nys

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)