jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

How soon can you put your baby onto solids?

1. nasus loops profile image68
    nasus loopsposted 5 years ago

How soon can you put your baby onto solids?

The department of health recommends exclusive breast feeding for the first six months.  Sometimes this is not possibly for various reasons so how soon can you wean your baby onto solids?  Can you wean before your baby is four months old?

2. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Many older generations will say you can begin giving them food from birth. However it's a bit like the whole put rice cereal in the bottle thing. It shouldn't be done but because others have done it with no ill effect they assume they should do it too. NO child should have food until they are ready. Parents get in a rush when they do not need to. When a child's thrust reflex is gone and they no longer shove food back out as soon as it goes in their mouth they are close to ready. They also need to be able to sit with support. There are very few reasons a mother is unable to breastfeed, and with no offense intended, those reasons are usually either lazy, uninformed, or ignorance. Ideally a child will get the majority of their needs met with breastmilk for the first year. The USA is one of only a handful of countries who encourage mothers to quit breastfeeding before 1 year. Solids before 1 year is for parents pleasure and practice only.

1. KgCt profile image60
      KgCtposted 2 years agoin reply to this

"There are very few reasons a mother is unable to breastfeed, and with no offense intended, those reasons are usually either lazy, uninformed, or ignorance." This statement is based on ignorance.  I was unable to produce breastmilk.

2. peeples profile image95
      peeplesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You totally missed the part that said VERY FEW even though you managed to copy and paste it. I never said that ALL people were able to breastfeed. There are always exceptions. The statement was fact, you just selectively read it.

3. profile image0
    masmasikaposted 5 years ago

You can start solid foods at the age of 3 months.  This is good because once you decide to wean from breastfeeding your baby will have the food nutrients from the solids he takes.  You can start with blended food.  I started with blended rice with a mixture of vegetables.  You can also give your baby mashed potatoes and fruits.

4. iheartkafka profile image67
    iheartkafkaposted 5 years ago

According the American Pediatric Association, formula or breast milk should be the primary means of nutrition until 12 months. Remember the adage: "food is fun until age one." What is meant by this is that although rice cereal is typically introduced around 4 months (or when the baby's tongue thrust reflex disappears--a sign that he or she is ready for thicker foods), fruits and veggies by six months and more substantial finger foods by 9 months, babies should still be getting the bulk of their calories and nutrition from either formula or breast milk.
    They are not yet practiced enough in the new skill of eating for it to be a dependable source of nutrition. Furthermore, the vitamins and minerals contained in breast milk or formula are too important to baby’s brain development to be cast off before age one.

5. AustralianNappies profile image76
    AustralianNappiesposted 5 years ago

I started giving my daughter some rice cerial on a tea spoon, really watered down, when she was almost 4 months.  Just a little at my usual meal times - And she absolutely loved it!  I think it sits on their tummy better than just having milk.  I went with my instincts, she was a large baby and had a growth spurt so I thought I'd try it and it worked well for us.