jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Can a girl have breast milk (lactating) before giving birth to a child?

1. LOT2DO profile image38
    LOT2DOposted 8 years ago

Can a girl have breast milk (lactating) before giving birth to a child?

2. pippap profile image86
    pippapposted 8 years ago

Yes, in fact, I was producing breast milk two months before my second daughter was born.  It is not unusual for there to be milk in the weeks before delivery; but, it is very unusual for there to be milk months before the delivery. 

It turned that there was nothing physically wrong with either myself or my pregnancy; but, I did attend a doctor just to make sure.

So, while wearing breast pads for a time before giving birth may be a pain, I'm sure you, your pregnancy and your baby will be fine.   However, it never hurts to be cautious, so go to your doctor for a checkup and to let him know what is happening.

3. karmicfilly profile image73
    karmicfillyposted 8 years ago

Absolutely you can and it does not have to be after your first child only.  I leaked milk from 6 months on.  I seemed to have more milk than needed and when I lay down to sleep the pressure of my breasts resting on one another made me soaking wet every night.
    It was obnoxious but at least I had plenty of milk.....

4. profile image0
    RS Wightposted 8 years ago

Yep.  I was ready for them well before the got here!  With my first it was ridiculous because I was lactating two full months before he was born and then the little bugger refused to nurse!

5. 2besure profile image82
    2besureposted 7 years ago

Yes!  Hormones that cause lactation increase toward the end of gestation.

6. Sneha Sunny profile image83
    Sneha Sunnyposted 7 years ago

yes..... however in general it does not happens........ but exception lies everywhere................hormones controls many things in our body............ even our behaviour.......

working