Who is legally responsible for a dependant parent, if no one has legally signed

1. landscapeartist profile image77
    landscapeartistposted 5 years ago

Who is legally responsible for a dependant parent, if no one has legally signed off responsibility?

I disowned my father well over 26 years ago. None of my 7 siblings want anything to do with him either.  He was very abusive in every way possible and we all walked away when my mom finally left him.  He was placed in a retirement home a few years ago and my eldest sibling feels that he is responsible for the man solely because he is the eldest child.  Is that true or are all of us because we did not go about signing off legally through a lawyer?

2. jenniferlynn78 profile image59
    jenniferlynn78posted 5 years ago

No, in fact it's not true! I  have studied some law and each state has it's own guideline but however you can check the law in your state under the state's general law. The law states that the children of a dependant parent is not responsible for the care or any expenses occurred before the parent was dependant, while the parent is still present, nor after they pass. If grown children have been estranged from the parent then the dependant's are not legally responsible.  This law applies to those whom have a relationship with their dependants.  The law was made because the law thought it was only natural for children to care for their dependant parents as the parents cared for them but the law  exempted and relieved this law only for estrangement and also if the parent did not fulfill all parental abilities as defined by state.  Simply put you and your siblings are free as it's legal, and your father made that choice when he abused all of you! May you all rest and have healing for all your emotional scars and may your heart heal as well!

1. landscapeartist profile image77
      landscapeartistposted 5 years agoin reply to this

OMG! @jenniferlynn78 Thank you so much.  This is the best news I have heard in such a long time.  He definitely was not a good parent in ANY sense of the word.

working