jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are some good ideas to teach your toddler not to whinge and whine?

1. AustralianNappies profile image77
    AustralianNappiesposted 5 years ago

What are some good ideas to teach your toddler not to whinge and whine?

2. Lizam1 profile image81
    Lizam1posted 5 years ago

Be clear and consistent in how you respond.  Whining is usually the symptom of a need - either attention, tiredness or hunger come to mind.  When the child is not whining have a talk (keep it simple) about how to ask for things in a "big girl/boy or nice" voice.  When the whining starts let the child know that you will not respond to the whining.  At first that may escalate the whining but stay with the program and usually the child learns (a learned consequence) by your example of good boundary setting.  Using planned ignoring can be effective and de escalate the whining so long as the child is safe. Stating calmly that Mummy does not respond to whining will remind them of the boundary.  Say this clearly and get down to his or her level to respond.

3. ExpectGreatThings profile image82
    ExpectGreatThingsposted 5 years ago

Sometimes I don't even think they know they are whining. To be fair, I often don't realize when I am whining either! I just say to them, "I understand you better when you smile." This has worked well with both my kids as long as I state it matter of factly. If I am exasperated or annoyed or frustrated when I say it, the whining escalates! And when they exchange their whines for smiles they get a big smile from me smile

4. shivanchirakkal10 profile image56
    shivanchirakkal10posted 5 years ago

A smile and lovely touch in his/her chine or a lovely kiss will only require, to satisfy them. OH!... It is great blessing to see their whinge and whine!

working