jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is it wise to start a family with the economy the way it currently is?

1. Swope profile image60
    Swopeposted 5 years ago

Is it wise to start a family with the economy the way it currently is?

2. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

It's a good question to ask. Most people don't really decide based on wisdom.

In the US today, 90% of all households - with children or not - will go bankrupt before the parents pass away. Retirement and the medical costs of old age are beyond our earning power. I think people planning to be parents should seriously consider economic and social realities. Are you ready to bring a child into the world and raise him or her to be a gift to our troubled planet?

See my hub Go Green in Time: Stop Global Warming and Climate Change for more on the world our children are coming in to. (It will be off idle by Sun 12/2.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

While it is risk I don't think all people should stop having children. I do think more people should be finacially capable of providing before getting pregnant. Another thing to take into consideration is the number of people who will be leaving the workforce as the baby boomers retire. I think that should at least improve part of the economy by making more jobs available.

4. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 5 years ago

For those with at least six figures set aside explicitly for each child being born, I'd say it's fine. I am a firm supporter of the actually thinking about all that's required (time, money, time off from work/career) of life in this modern world before they create life. But, as SidKemp said "most people don't really decide based on wisdom."