If you grew up in a very large family(7 or more children), how did it effect you

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

If you grew up in a very large family(7 or more children), how did it effect you?

2. SimpleGiftsofLove profile image79
    SimpleGiftsofLoveposted 5 years ago

Altogether, there were 9 with step-brothers and sisters, and 2 half-sisters.  I felt lost in the shuffle most of the time, and after my half-sister was born we became responsible for her.  I wanted freedom to make friends and go places.  I resented the responsibility, even going so far as to run away to get my parent's attention.  I paid the price, and it has caused me not to be close to her at all.

gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The oldest child in very large families have NO CHILDHOOD.  They are the ONES who raise the younger siblings, not the parents.   Oldest children in very large families lead a life analagous to that of slaves and forced laborers, on 24/7/365.

3. healthwealthmusic profile image73
    healthwealthmusicposted 5 years ago

I grew up in a Mennonite home of seven children. I would say that the pros and cons likely balanced themselves out smile However, me being the third to youngest, I do know that I felt like I was usually treated as the childish little one - I had one sister and 5 brothers. My sister was nine years older than me, and the oldest of the children. I think things might have been different if she had been closer to my age. As it was, my mom and her always seemed to be talking big people talk and were best buddies. I always felt like the third wheel....  even now, although I am a married adult, when my sister and I are at my parents' house at the same time, she always seems to be the one my mom talks to most. I get the feeling of being unimportant. I had more fun playing with my brothers. My sister never really had fun with me.

4. carolp profile image81
    carolpposted 5 years ago

I have 3 brothers and 4 sisters. Having a big family is a blessing. I learn and understand the importance of a family, loving, sharing, supporting, helping and undesrtanding one another. We shared the household shores and each has a responsibility each day. I learned to budget my monthly money allowance during my college days together with my sisters and brothers.
    To hold on together in good and bad times. keep our family tradition and practice it in my own family.

1. profile image0
      SaritaJBonitaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You are fortunate indeed.  Not very many large families are so emotionally healthy.  I'm envious (in a good way, I just can't think of a more appropriate word)

5. shyprn14 profile image66
    shyprn14posted 5 years ago

One of my parents, grew up in a large family. I was told, that growing up, in a large family? It makes you, have to grow up fast; because you have to help, take care of the other siblings. So, you really do not, get to have a real childhood.The childhood took, a back seat, to have to, help raise the younger ones. They were a close knit family, but also everyone, still had their own ways, of doing things. But not the way, the older ones were taught, to do things. The younger ones, the way of doing things, got a little less harsh, as to the way, things were supposed to have been done properly. Which; later on made the older ones, resentful toward the younger ones. Because the older ones, done things the way, that things were told, of them to do. And, no other way, because there was, no other way, but just the one way.

That is so true.   My mother came from a family of 10 children.  She was the oldest and left home at 14 one of my aunts, who was the next oldest girl, raised the younger siblings.  She had no childhood and is bitter to this day.

6. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 5 years ago

I grew up as the second oldest of nine children.I was the only girl until my  sister came along seven years later. It was always "You iron the shirt, you're the girl..." Or, I would end up babysitting all of the time and there were always at least two babies at one time, all of the timel. When I was twelve I swore I'd never have children because I had changed enough diapers for a lifetime.I did have one child and he's now getting his Master's in architecture at LTU in  Southfield ,Michigan.

Grew up too fast,
    Lisa

Lisa, I hear you!   To all concerned, I have written a hub on this very subject, please check it out!   Lisa, you have a son getting a Master's.   You look so young, like you are in your 20s.

2. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
      lisasuniquevoiceposted 5 years agoin reply to this

gmwilliams,
      I'll read your hub. Thank you for the comment about my age. Today I needed to hear that more than anything.Thanks again.
      I'll be reading,
      Lisa

7. kiranferoz profile image60
    kiranferozposted 5 years ago

I think if I would had grew up in a large family and i have 7 or more siblings then I would never become bored of life and we all would play together,eat together, and enjoy the life and hangout every weekend...also if i had a elder sister or brother then I could share my feelings and emotions with him or her..He or she would advise me. So it would be great fun...

8. getitrite profile image78
    getitriteposted 5 years ago

I guess statistics suggest that in large families there will inevitably be poverty, physical, and sexual abuse along with neglect.  I grew up in a VERY large family, where those statistics fit perfectly.  I wrote a book about the experience.  Most people think it is a work of total fiction.

You are so correct.   Children in very large families have little or no parental attention.  Older children are cast aside and neglected in favor of younger ones.   Middle children are ignored.  The only ones who "benefit" are the youngest children.

9. profile image0
    SaritaJBonitaposted 5 years ago

Being the eldest of six children, I'm short one sibling from being truly eligible to answer.  I'm going to cheat and answer anyways because I think this is an excellent question...

Being the oldest had both it's advantages and disadvantages.  I learned how to change diapers in kindergarten, and I lost count of how many family-size boxes of mac n' cheese I've cooked throughout the years.  On the flipside, I learned how to drive first, was the first to get my own car, and got away with a whole lot more "teenage hijinks" than all of my siblings. 

Being the oldest in a large family taught me how to stay calm in crisis situations, how to multi-task, how to handle even the worst temper-tantrums, etc.  The most important thing I think I learned is that life rarely goes according to plan.  Sometimes it sucked but I always survived.   

I'm glad I'm the oldest and not the youngest, because despite all of the stress I love to be the boss ;-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)