jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is someone you know well, rewriting the story of their life now that they are ad

1. pstraubie48 profile image87
    pstraubie48posted 4 years ago

Is someone you know well, rewriting the story of their life now that they are adults?

There are times when someone might want to forget their past. But when someone had an idyllic youth why would they want to change the reality of that as an adult?? Any thoughts on this??

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7711274_f260.jpg

2. EmpatheticAdvisor profile image60
    EmpatheticAdvisorposted 4 years ago

Quite possibly  maybe from their perspective, the person did not experience their life like you perceived they did.
    On the other hand, maybe they are seeking some type of attention from some one else , and by portraying a less than desirable childhood, this is gaining them additional attention and sympathy?
    Usually this happens when a person has had a crappy and chaotic upbringing, and they down play the negative in order to make themselves feel better.
    There must be something to gain though if they are doing this on purpose and if it did not seem like it was so bad.
    However, no one knows what a person is going through lest they walk in that person's shoes for a bit. 
    A bit ambiguous, I know. However, the only way you will really know is if you ask them about it.

3. JimTxMiller profile image77
    JimTxMillerposted 4 years ago

We can never know the true details of another's life. What may appear "idyllic" on the outside could have been a living hell on the inside.

4. Sharkye11 profile image95
    Sharkye11posted 4 years ago

I've met a lot of people recently who do this. Usually by reliving nostalgic events of lifestyle that didn't really exist. Some of them seem to be doing it for pity, others just seem to have a resentment against younger generations. For example, I have a family member who grew up in the 80's. Not the Dark Ages! Yet she insists that back in those days all kids had to play with were crayons, and how teens now don't know how to enjoy simple pleasures. Yet...there are these family photos riding her motorbike, and getting really expensive, trendy toys, clothes, and electronics. Maybe it is simply dismay at growing older?

working