jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

How do you keep a toddler in their booster seat?

1. brittvan22 profile image81
    brittvan22posted 4 years ago

How do you keep a toddler in their booster seat?

Help my five year old has been feeling above the law these days. I have her strapped in, but once we get rolling she tends to free herself. I notice when her dad and I are talking she will take it off to lean in and listen to the conversation. When I catch her and tell her to put it on she pretends to do so. When I scold her she looks so sad. I have explained to her the dangers, any suggestions? Should I let her see a car crash or something, don't want to traumatize her?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7947911_f260.jpg

2. nighthag profile image83
    nighthagposted 4 years ago

my suggestion would be to plan a few trips out in the car just for the lesson of learning what is expected of her. by this I mean telling her that you are both going to drive to the shop to get something she may want, or going to visit a friend  (toy, lollies, movie date etc) and every time she messes with her chair, pull the car over and stop driving until SHE fixes what she is doing, if she does it more than twice turn the car around and go home.
    remind her that being in a car is a privilege and if she cant behave than she cant go. I have four boys so I do understand how frustrating learning car etiquette can be...
    Good luck

1. brittvan22 profile image81
      brittvan22posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to try it out.

2. Ericdierker profile image56
      Ericdierkerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I really like the question and answer. The key point to me is the spending of time while not preoccupied with adult things. Just making the time to deal with it rather than be upset by it. That technique creates a joy in learning to behave. Very cool

working