This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

What are the pros and or cons to getting your DNA tested for genealogy purposes?

1. oceansnsunsets profile image88
    oceansnsunsetsposted 4 years ago

What are the pros and or cons to getting your DNA tested for genealogy purposes?

Ancestry.com is an example of a site that promotes the idea of people getting their DNA tested to enhance their genealogy discoveries.  I think it is a neat idea.  There are 2 or 3 different DNA tests you can choose to pick from.

Do you have any thoughts on getting your DNA tested for such purposes?  What are the pros and especially cons if any?  Evidently, it helps people to find distant cousins, which can help people to find new leads in their family tree, and sometimes it just brings more questions.

2. wychic profile image88
    wychicposted 4 years ago

It helps you make sure you're on the right family line, for one. Members of my own family pitched in to have my uncle tested. We have two different lines of Millers in the family, as well as Brown, Braun, Graham and so forth. Lots of really common names. We've also had a lot of lies in the family about where it came from (i.e. my grandfather was German, but fought for the US in WWII so he told people he was Irish, grandmother was Lakota but told everyone Cherokee since they were on better terms with the white government). Some members of my family are really into genealogy, so they had the test done once they were relatively certain they'd found the right lines. It did also lead to some living cousins, which was a cool side effect, and let us know that one line had followed off of the wrong person from a small village where two people had the same name.

As for cons -- the biggest one we thought of was in cases where parentage had also been lied about. A child conceived with a mistress may be taken into the family as belonging to the wife, a father may not always be the man to whom the woman is wed, etc. Luckily, this didn't seem to trip up our search too much, but could definitely be an issue. Other than that...none noted, so far.

working