jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Do you support punishing children?

1. LensMan999 profile image54
    LensMan999posted 4 years ago

Do you support punishing children?

Why or why not?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8142006_f260.jpg

2. Haseena Firdousia profile image71
    Haseena Firdousiaposted 4 years ago

The word "punish" means subjecting a penalty for an offense, and usually includes inflicting some kind of hurt. In parenting, such punishment is often practiced by spanking children. The relative benefit and, or, harm of such punishment is open to question, and certainly involves consideration of the unique culture of each family as well as the community in which they are a part. However, the continuing tragic outbursts of violence by children have served to alert us about our responsibilities as parents, and as members of our communities. As such, we would do well as parents to carefully practice less violent ways of discipline that encourage the healthy development of our children.

3. Max Makhija1 profile image60
    Max Makhija1posted 4 years ago

Yes, but not by physical methods, but by coaxing, setting a good example. The consequence other wise are too many.

4. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

No, I don't. I remember being punished as a child and by taking family dynamics classes, I've discovered more ways of teaching children effectively. Why do them physical and mental harm when punishing them? By being level headed, holding your ground, and communicating with a child you can encourage them to follow the rules and make them better individuals.

5. Get Thin for Good profile image71
    Get Thin for Goodposted 4 years ago

Yes, but I would call it more "disciplining" children. If it is done in love, it is good for them. They actually need it because it gives them boundaries and makes them feel safe.

I believe in it because I am a Christian and God also disciplines those He loves. He sets the example and I follow it.

I have also seen the horrible effects of not disciplining children - and it's downright cruel not to.

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

If by punishing children, you mean that there are consequences for misbehavior, then yes. I do not however, support physical punishment. We raised a couple of great kids without having to resort to causing them physical pain to get them to behave.

7. myefforts profile image82
    myeffortsposted 4 years ago

I am a father to two, an 8 and 5 year old daughters. I don't think physical punishment does any good. but they should be made aware of the consequences for doing something wrong. Certain benefits could be offered to them for doing things right which would not be available if done the wrong way. I have noticed that this works better.

8. profile image50
    ambr333posted 4 years ago

No, I believe in natural consequences. example, if you throw a fit when we leave the park it will take too much time and we will no longer have time to get ice cream.  If you throw your food on the floor dinner time is over for you. If you hit me I will no longer play with you because I don't like to be hit. Similar to punishment but I think it translates better into adulthood. People are not going to punish you in some weird way as making you stand in a corner when you are an adult, but if you are a jerk they will not want to be around you. If you dilly dally at one place you will not have time to do the other things you want to do that day etc.

9. C.V.Rajan profile image78
    C.V.Rajanposted 4 years ago

Yes. If you don't, you may have to punish yourself in future for the type of offspring that you have left for the future!

10. profile image0
    krushnach80posted 4 years ago

no,punishment giving is like a double edge sword sometimes it works or fails,but it is better not to resort to brutal method rather they should be taught about ,the right thing

working