jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

Do you think it is appropriate to have children on leashes?

1. KevinC9998 profile image79
    KevinC9998posted 4 years ago

Do you think it is appropriate to have children on leashes?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8174509_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

No. I have never found this type of behavior appropriate. Kids are not animals and should be taught at a very young age to behave themselves in public.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, JT, what is WRONG with these "parents"?  This is a sign of lazy parenting to its ultimate.  People just DON'T want to commit to training their children. They want the quick fix!

2. duffsmom profile image59
      duffsmomposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I can see both of your points.  But a toddler while learning can make a mistake and they are FAST. They can see something in the street and make a dash and it just isn't always about parenting, it is about the impulsiveness of that age group.

3. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree with JT and GM...children should be taught how to behave in company of others. With good training and discipline there would be no need for leashes.

3. KT Banks profile image59
    KT Banksposted 4 years ago

Thank God, I never had to even think about doing that. However, I have had friends with kids who were so unruly, at places such as Six Flags, or even a mall, that I wished they were on leashes. They were so chaotic that I really thought they could pose a danger to other people and themselves.
    On the other hand, I had a friend who did use a leash on her child because she was afraid she would lose him in large crowds. I hate to say it, but that child didn't seem to have much of a personality. He was always very quiet and still.
    So I guess what I'm trying to say, is that it depends on the reason for using it, as well as the situation they are in.

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

umm...controversial.

KevinC9998posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it is controversial.  Someone once told me a long time ago that "you cannot raise other people's kids".  It is a very true statement!  Thanks for your comment!  Kevin

5. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8175246_f260.jpg

Depends on the child! LOL!
    Seriously I have not seen that in a number of years. I grew up in an era where if a child got out of line in public they got spanked in public. Today those parents would be videotaped and arrested I suppose.
    However if my child wasn't ready for "prime time" they'd have to stay home with a babysitter. I'd refuse to walk my child like a dog.

I was spanked in public and turned out just fine (I think).  Thanks, Kevin

6. Lee Tea profile image92
    Lee Teaposted 4 years ago

Lol...I don't remember what comedian called it the ultimate "giving up" on parenting.  I can't speak for others but I've raised two with no leashes - though I chose to stay home and parent them myself everyday.  Not because I could afford to, but because raising them with awareness, capability, and controlled behavior was more important than paying the bills on time.  This was important to me as there are behavior and mental health issues throughout members of my immediate family.  When we go out, my children are always complemented on their polite manners and behavior.  My oldest won the "no-bully zone" award this year in school for befriending children in her class being picked on by others.

In return, my decision to be a full-time mom first has taught me more than I had ever hoped to learn in this life.

Be well,
    Lee @ Lee's Teas

Thanks for your comments.  I too was bullied - but that's another hub!  Kevin

7. renegadetory profile image99
    renegadetoryposted 4 years ago

I see less and less of the leash thing here, what I do see though is parents who put their older children in strollers where it is painfully obvious that the child is too big for the stroller.  To me, it is the same thing.  With the exception of mentally impaired children, I don't find it appropriate at all.

Can you imagine what goes on in their house when these kids are at home?  I shudder to think.

Good observation. I too have seen the stroller thing. I think it is terrible and what may be worse are the parents who simply are not watching their children at all! Thanks for your comment!

8. fpherj48 profile image75
    fpherj48posted 4 years ago

Kevin.....If you are built like this Mom and carry a heavy backpack (probably her 5 course lunch!)  who could not possibly move fast enough to chase after a wiry kid, in a busy city or near traffic......the leash is appropriate, in terms of keeping this child safe.  The only other thing to be concerned with, would be that she doesn't sit on the poor boy!!
    Otherwise?  There are more appropriate means to keep tabs on your child and protect them in crowds.   "Badparenting.org?"  Yes, I would surely say so!
    Then again.....this is easy for me to say.  My child-rearing is well behind me.  In today's seriously DANGEROUS world, parents may find the leash a very comforting thing.  I would dissuade them from teaching their children to Sit, HEEL and STAY!
    It's a matter of personal, parental decision.

working