jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What advice as a parent do you give your children about protecting themselves fr

1. janshares profile image97
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

What advice as a parent do you give your children about protecting themselves from strangers?

What do you tell your children/teenagers about how to handle a stranger on the street? Should they run, scream, fight back?

2. Nakia Deon profile image60
    Nakia Deonposted 4 years ago

Don't fight the Zimmerman's ...just bow down to them...momma wants you alive and living.

jansharesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Powerful and sad. Thank you for answering, Nakia.

3. LongTimeMother profile image96
    LongTimeMotherposted 4 years ago

I teach my children that sometimes it is good to tell lies. In my experience, it is safer for a child to tell a lie that indicates adult help is at hand than to get into a physical fight.

Having said that, I also make sure my kids have a level of confidence in martial arts so they have the skills to fight if necessary.

I wrote a hub called 'Why children should be taught to tell lies' and the vast majority of people who left comments agreed with me - but I did come under fire from one person for suggesting that children should sometimes lie.

It has worked well for my kids in the past. smile

Thank you so much for your perspective. I will check it out.

4. DDE profile image27
    DDEposted 4 years ago

No talking to strangers, and stay away from quiet streets, never approach a stranger's car no matter what he tells you.

Thanks for your comment, DDE.

working