jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What age should you allow your child to stay home alone?

1. profile image51
    Angel McQuistonposted 4 years ago

What age should you allow your child to stay home alone?

2. Mary Shadowcrest profile image60
    Mary Shadowcrestposted 4 years ago

It really depends on the kid but I don't think anything younger than 10 is a good idea. After 10 it depends on if the child can be trusted to stay home and not do something stupid.

3. DDE profile image24
    DDEposted 4 years ago

If a child is responsible and old enough to take care of themselves there shouldn't be a problem. At the age of twelve

4. ketage profile image80
    ketageposted 4 years ago

Really does depend on how mature and responsible the child is. Both my parents worked full time jobs when I was young, and they often left me and my sister home alone. We were both Preteens.we never had any problems or mishaps, we knew what to do in an emergency, had all the important contact numbers, and knew our neighbors. I do not remember a single problem that we had. But then I guess technically I was not home alone since there were two of us smile 

In my opinion it made us more independent, responsible kids. we were proud that our parents trusted us and never took advantage of their faith in us. No parties or having friends over without first telling them. We did not do any silly things. we waited for them to come home before we got into trouble, we were still kids after all.

By the time we hit our teens, we were much more responsible then most of the kids in our class. I always figured it was because of the way our parents treated us.

5. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Honestly for short periods of time such as picking up a box of tampons from the store, 10 years old if you have trained them well. But for longer periods of time, 13 seems to be a responsible age.

working