jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

How do you answer a five year old who asks "Mommy, why does David have two daddi

1. Aneegma profile image74
    Aneegmaposted 4 years ago

How do you answer a five year old who asks "Mommy, why does David have two daddies?"

My best friend's son asked her this question and she's totally in pieces because she hasn't even had the "where do babies come from" conversation. So I was curious to know what you hubbers think?

2. junkseller profile image86
    junksellerposted 4 years ago

There are lots of different kinds of families. Mom and dad, two dads, two moms, mom and step-dad and dad and step-mom, one mom, one dad, two grandparents and no parents, etc.

Not many people, if any, really explain to a five year old the exact mechanics and romance for someone having a mom and a dad, so I wouldn't see any consternation over not having to explain the exact mechanics and romance for having two dads.

It is just a less common but different family. No big deal.

3. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

At five years old they don't have to know the mechanics. You simply explain to them that there are many kinds of families with different circumstances and that the important thing is that David has two parents who love and care for him.  What else does a 5 year old need to know? Nothing to get broken up about.

4. kellysgirl profile image69
    kellysgirlposted 4 years ago

I think this is the perfect opportunity to find out what's inside the minds of children. If I were your friend, I'd position the question right back to the child, "why do you think he has two dads?"Trust me, most kids have already formed in their heads a certain perception  about things based on their own filters (i.e. television, parents, etc.).

I have a 13 year old son, and ever since he first began talking, which wasn't until he was 4, I have embedded within him the ability to think critically. I ask him his thoughts about things, and we discuss why some things aren't a good idea. Sure we influence our children, but with all the world is throwing at them at such young ages, we really need to get a good footing into what they already understand. You'll be surprised at the response - even from a child.

1. profile image0
      Dave36posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Kellsgirl, i think that's amazing.Most peeps i know, stick their kids in front of the T.V etc. for an easy life. I reckon your sons lucky to have you, & i was a lad once.I'd say the more sport you get him into the better, especially self defence.

working