jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

What age is appropriate to cut your five year old daughter's hair?

1. brittvan22 profile image82
    brittvan22posted 4 years ago

What age is appropriate to cut your five year old daughter's hair?

When is it time to trim the ends of your toddlers hair? Moms and Dad weigh in,  PLEASE! My daughter is five and her hair is to her butt and I want to know when is it suitable to trim the ends of her hair? Should I go for it or just take her to a professional? She is so young I don't think her hair has had time to mature, she's only five?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8548281_f260.jpg

2. rebekahELLE profile image88
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

I wouldn't consider a five year old a toddler.  She's ready for a professional cut by someone who specializes in kid's cuts, especially if her hair is very long.  I wouldn't go too short for the first cut!  My first hair cut was when I was about 5/6.  I had very long hair and the stylist cut it way too short.  Then my dad tried to fix it.  I was devastated, and had to face first grade pics with this cut! You can see the result on my Father's Day hub.  Good luck with her first hair cut!  You can probably find a shop that's just for children, if not, get some referrals from friends/parents.

brittvan22posted 4 years agoin reply to this

THANKS!

2. Marion Burns profile image59
      Marion Burnsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree .  If you want some tipds on introducing your child to the hair cut experiece   I can help you

3. lambservant profile image94
    lambservantposted 4 years ago

What does it matter? Whatever you both decide. There is no rule of thumb, wrong or right. She is a beautiful girl. What is her name? I would agree, she will well past toddler. Gorgeous.

I just wanted to know, my Mom would be my go to, but she is deceased. Her name is Maria after her grandmother Sherry Maria, both April 5th birthday girls. She wears a 5T that's why I call her a Toddler. Thanks, I just didn't want to prematurely do it

2. lambservant profile image94
      lambservantposted 4 years agoin reply to this

We would love to see her new do if you get one. With her hair that long I can see what RebeckahELLE is talking about not going to short the first time. You sound like a very good Mama. when I was little my mom used to cut our bangs. Terrible job. lol

4. Koyna Sen profile image59
    Koyna Senposted 4 years ago

I truly could not follow that why you are hesitating so much to trim your daughter's hair. Trimming of hair is always considered as a healthy process to boost hair growth and it is also  a great way to prevent split-ends of hair. To maintain healthy hair, it is best to trim it every month. You can do it yourself also, since your daughter is just 5. However, nowadays, you will find many salons that provide good hair cut from children and they also have proper arrangements. So, if you are seeking help of professional  hair expert, you can visit such salon. And I personally feel that it is good to take help of professionals to give proper shape to your sweety pie's hair.

Thanks its just something I would normally ask my go to, but she's gone and she was my hair care expert, doctor, etc. Moms are alot and you never realize how much until their gone. Thanks.

2. Marion Burns profile image59
      Marion Burnsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Trimming the ends allows the short new growth   to catch up and   thicken the over all hair ... get a trim you will notice the difference and  she will love it .

5. lostohanababy profile image57
    lostohanababyposted 4 years ago

Your daughter is pretty.  Little girls look cuter with their hair long.  It's up to their 'moms' to have patience and style their hair in various, little girl 'dos'.  When I was about that age, my mom, took time on my hair , washing, perfuming, brushing, and fixing it in different little girl styles.   My hair was also, down my back and would get in my way when I was playing.  There's Hair Styles in a few of the magazines that are for children's hair.  My mom fix my hair cute and up off my face, with braids, many different ways.  Cooler for me on hot days.   In ponytails, across the scalp in multiple leis of braids.  Your imagination will give you creativity.  I've seen 'wee' baby girls with their hair cut up to their ears.   You're the mom, its up to you!

Thanks for your input it was most helpful!

2. lostohanababy profile image57
      lostohanababyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome, Brittvan

working