jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What does it mean to ''respect yourself?''

1. moronkee profile image76
    moronkeeposted 3 years ago

What does it mean to ''respect yourself?''

People often say that for people to respect you, you must first respect yourself. How do you respect yourself?

2. Sri T profile image80
    Sri Tposted 3 years ago

To respect yourself means you love and honor yourself unconditionally as a living being. You don't allow any person or groups opinion of you to change your honor for yourself. On the highest level you honor your very life force with gratitude. Just to come into existence is a miracle in itself if you consider the process. Amazement and reverence should be the continuous attitude towards ones own being.

3. Lee Tea profile image92
    Lee Teaposted 3 years ago

I like Sri T's answer.  I'll just throw mine out there, along the same lines.  I've come to understand that respecting yourself means to know your goal, and not be swayed by others opinions or judgments.  Consider them, yes, but don't be shamed by criticisms - both on your ideas and on your character. 

If the internet is teaching us anything, it's that some people will like what you think, and some people won't, and most will tell you either way, everytime. 

Be true to yourself.  Your the only one here who can do what it is you're going to do - take stock in your own worth.  It's huge!

Be well.

4. profile image0
    Dave36posted 3 years ago

Whatever you want people in life to do to you, you "must" first do it to them..If you want respect from others, you have to respect them first..If you want people to be nice to you, you have to be nice to them first..If for example you want your partner to be more affectionate, guess what?, you have to be more affectionate first..Only for examples, as there useful example for many out there/on here....Anyway how do we learn to respect ourselves, well that's the clue we have to learn it like everything else in life..People say we have to earn respect, i say we have to learn respect....So here's a question for you mate would you harm someone "you" respect?, if not then why?....Now do you do anything that harms yourself, even if it's just smoking/excess drinking/negative self talk etc?....I suppose it all boils down to when you look yourself in the mirror, can you say "well iv'e done the best i can do with what iv'e been given"....If you can then respect to you, & you should respect yourself....If not then get working on what you need to work on, until you can look in the mirror & say "i might not at the moment, but i'm learning & will soon respect myself"....The "ONLY" person you need respect from is yourself, because your the only person that will ever know if you actually deserve it..Basically you have to be & do more good/right things in life than wrong things, because respect is a "positive feeling" so puts loads of positivity out there until you feel it.

5. Penny G profile image71
    Penny Gposted 3 years ago

Step away from yourself for just a minute. Now from the outside, imagine what you would not like others to do, HMMMM say track mud through your house, throw cigarette butts down in your yard, see what I mean. I work in a Treatment Prison and you promote this we have signs that say  " respect yourself and others" Respectful behaviors that would apply to those around you should also apply to yourself. It's truly hard to respect others if you don't respect yourself.

working