jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What does it mean to honor your parent. What ways can a person honor their paren

1. blessed365 profile image78
    blessed365posted 5 years ago

What does it mean to honor your parent. What ways can a person honor their parents?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Honor thy Father and thy Mother means to always do as they say. Never should a cross word be directed at either of them from your lips.

1. profile image0
      Starmom41posted 5 years agoin reply to this

no it doesn't- honor does not mean obey; in general & in specific, it means living in & behaving in ways that bring honor to them.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Honor: to hold in honor or high respect; revere: to honor one's parents.

From dictionary. Sorry if I offended you?

3. profile image0
      Starmom41posted 5 years agoin reply to this

the dictionary definition you quoted is accurate- but honor/high respect/revere doesn't mean obey.

3. ComfortB profile image87
    ComfortBposted 5 years ago

There are two things the Bible commands us to do in regards to our parents, the first is to "obey" them (Ephesians 6:1) and the second is to "honor" them (Exodus 20:12).

When we are younger and under our parent's control (that is, when they pay the bills) we are to both honor (respect them) and obey them (do as they say, as long as it is not against God's will).

When we graduate into adulthood, and are now on our own, and especially when we are married, we are no longer obligated to obey our parents (or you'll get in trouble with your spouse), but we are to honor them (respect them, listen to them, consider their opinions).

Stay blessed!

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image100
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

To honor your parents to treat them with civility and take care of them when necessary and by whatever means is needed.

5. newcalendar profile image69
    newcalendarposted 5 years ago

I have to admit I tend to sidestep the old testament rather than the new but, as long as you can get along with them and they can get along with you in a reasonable manner then thats good. What I'm meaning is if your parent is a drug taker, violent, an alcoholic, etc should you be forced to put up with that and always do as they say even if it is insane? No of course not.

working