What are ten ways that the large/very large family is abusive to children academ

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

What are ten ways that the large/very large family is abusive to children academically,

emotionally, mentally,physically, psychologically, and socioecnomically?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8998761_f260.jpg

2. Cymbre Martin profile image67
    Cymbre Martinposted 4 years ago

1. Generally, that means less money available from the parents when it comes time for college.
    2. Less time parents have per child to help with school/ address individual needs
    3. Younger siblings are associated with older siblings if they have the same teachers. This means there is either more pressure if the older sibling performed well, or preconceived notions about their behavior if their older sibling was misbehaved.

gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

GREAT answer indeed!

3. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 4 years ago

May I safely assume given 5 kids (today) is considered "large," that by "very" large you mean more than 5? 

While I confess to being a bit uncomfortable determining how many children a couple should have, I also admit I recognize the lack of foresight in family planning of some couples

I'm not going to reference the "Duggars" this time...LOL.  I should think at this point, it's clear they are a rare exception to the (super) large family "concerns." The facts are quite public and well-documented that ALL of their darlings are well-behaved, mannered, fed, raised, taught & supported in all aspects of need, nurture, love, education, morals, culture and social awareness.They even sing and play Violin!  A positively amazing feat, to say the least.

I will also not reference any family at poverty level, needing social welfare and assistance to merely survive, yet continue to reproduce at will.This is the opposite extreme and involves a degree of ignorance I don't believe can be fairly included in this discussion.

Again I will tell you I'm not comfortable with the term, "abusive." I can reluctantly agree to, "thoughtless, irresponsible, & perhaps, neglectful." I say this because I feel the need to reserve "abuse" for very different types of discussions on family & children.

All of the ways (you list above) in terms of parental responsibilities to their children are vital to every child's upbringing and ultimate value as a productive, stable member of society.  This is to not even mention each individual child's sense of self-worth, confidence level and desire to achieve.

Simple logic should easily tell us, the more children, the more of ALL required to raise them PROPERLY is needed. When reproducing little humans becomes more of selfish "collection", serious problems arise.The first question that comes to my mind is "WHY would an adult (or 2 adults) place such a burden upon themselves?"Here I can freely use the word,"abuse." Self-abuse.

As each person is unique, so too is each couple & family. A tribe of kids may not be the choice for many. (a.k.a "Smart Choices!)

Bottom line? If the large family choice is made by sane, sincere adults, they must be trusted as willing & able to do it well to the good of every member of their family.  The Universal hope would be that they are as successful as possible.

Regardless of family size...this is true for all parents/families.

I apologize that my reply is not in the "list form" you requested.

By large/very large, I mean 6 or more children per household.  5 children would be classified as medium large.

2. fpherj48 profile image77
      fpherj48posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Well Grace...that's what I call being very specific!!  LOL.   Anymore in this world of ours....I'm beginning to believe the "only child" may be the best decision.  I know that's not a popular vote.

3. gmwilliams profile image84

Of course, the only child is the BEST decision. Onlies have the BEST of all worlds.It is becoming more popular than ever.

4. fpherj48 profile image77
      fpherj48posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I have an only child grand daughter. People think I'm "Imagining" how very obvious the positive results of being an "Only" are...but  YEARS of experience and extreme observance tells me I can see, hear & feel a huge difference.  But who am I?  LO

5. gmwilliams profile image84

This is the SECOND BEST answer.I'm a STRONG ADVOCATE for small families(1-2 children).If I can get people to realize how detrimental large families are,they'd stop mindlesly reproducing ad infinitum, not caring about how their children will fare.

4. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/9016108_f260.jpg

Both of these amazing answers are so succinct.It's a well-known fact that the large/very large family(6 children or more per household) is abusive to children mentally, physically, emotionally, psychologically,  psychically & socioeconomically. Children growing up in such families HAVEN'T the things that normal children have such as nutritious food, medical care, decent/good clothing,exposure to cultural/intellectual activities, & other amenities.

They have to make do with inferior quality food, if they don't go hungry.They also have no medical nor health care.It's common that they wear castoff, throwaway, & other inferior clothing.If there was't school lunch programs & charities, many children from such families'd be in DIRE straits.

It's common for children from large/very large families to DO WITHOUT even the necessities.If they want extras, they must WORK, often from childhood, to purchase things that other children have. It boggles me why some parents are so obsessed with having more children than they can afford to give a decent/comfortable standard of life to. They have an infantile fantasy of having a lot of children as if children were doll collections.What are these parents "thinking", oh no, they aren't and that is the sad part of it all. Let me not digress.

Children from large/very large families have a hardscrabble & hardknock life which makes the life of a homeless person heaven in comparison. Besides having very little material things,they have no intellectual & educational materials & paraphernalia in the home.They are bereft of any form of academic stimulation, starting school intellectually & academically behind other children.   

Children from large/very large families also receive little or no parental attention. They raise themselves or each other. Oldlest/older children are parentified children, parenting & raising younger children when they should be normal children & adolescents.If not pressed into service, oldest/older children are sidelined & waylaided. Middle children are lost in the shuffle while youngest children get the lion's share of parental attention. Child neglect in varying degrees are commonplace in the largel family environment.

Children from large/very large families MUST work, not only to get extras but to supplement abysmal family income. Average children from these families have to forego their education to work full-time jobs to assist their parents' living standards. College is a dream for such children.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)