jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)

Are you for against circumcision?

1. emilyzeinert profile image61
    emilyzeinertposted 3 years ago

Are you for against circumcision?

What are your reasons for/against? Have you been aware of the #IAmNotThankful campaign?

2. askformore lm profile image70
    askformore lmposted 3 years ago

First: I don't know what you mean  by: I am not thankful campaign.

About circumcision:

A) Female "circumcision", which is still practised in many Muslim countries (and in Africa) is in my opinion a hostile insult to the female body.
    It should be noted that the female "circumcision" isn't a practice "invented" by Islam, in fact Muhammad writes: "If you "circumcise" your daughters, then do it gently". However, in my opinion it should be made illegal in all countries.

B) Male circumcision is a more complex question.
    Again one has to remember that this practice is very old (and is found in many different cultures). The largest groups who circumcise boys are the Jewish and the Muslims.
    Both groups do it when the boys are infants. A completely different group (which I happen to know quite well) are the Masai in East Africa, the Masai are being circumcised as teen-agers as a part of a "rite du passage" from childhood to adulthood.
    It is obvious that infants can't protest about being circumcised, so I could vote for a system in which babies aren't circumcised, and where the youngster has the right to decide over his own body.
    My conclusion is: That I am against any system of circumcision in which the person doesn't participate completely voluntarily in the practice.

1. emilyzeinert profile image61
      emilyzeinertposted 3 years agoin reply to this

The I Am Not Thankful Campaign features many circumcised boys and men who are not thankful for their parents circumcising them. It is in retaliation to the excuse that parents use to justify their decision, "he'll thank me for it one day"

3. Robert the Bruce profile image60
    Robert the Bruceposted 3 years ago

Though I'm not very familiar with the medical issues behind circumcision, I would have to say I'm against it. I really only have one good reason for this: the infant is being physically altered (damaged?) for life and has no choice in the matter.

I strongly believe in individual free choice and circumcision does not seem to fit with the idea of freedom. Let an adult be circumcised if he wishes, but don't make such an important choice for an infant.

1. ChristinS profile image97
      ChristinSposted 3 years agoin reply to this

completely agree and never did this to my boys.

4. Old-Empresario profile image82
    Old-Empresarioposted 3 years ago

I do feel people should get to choose what they do with their own bodies and not be forced to do something or feel socially obligated to do it. Circumcision is a cultural thing. It's really more of a cosmetic topic in the US, because circumcised penises are thought to look better and look cleaner than uncircumcised ones in the opinions of most Americans. I understand that a medical benefit is that it prevents cancer of the penis, which is a rare malady anyway. Other than that, I don't know any doctors that see much benefit in circumcision. It's essentially the mutilation of one's genitalia out of respect for a very old Semitic custom that goes back to the ancient Egyptians. Historically, Europeans abhorred the idea since first coming in contact with the practice. Female circumcision is ghastly since, instead of simply mutilating pieces of a sexual organ, it involves the total decapitation of the primary sensory sexual organ. It's a completely ridiculous and cruel form of controlling women that is still performed by a culture of savages.

1. Robert the Bruce profile image60
      Robert the Bruceposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Strongly agreed. I wonder if any legislation has been proposed in US to outlaw non-consensual circumcision?

5. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

I have mixed feelings on the issue. When my boys were born I was young and not as mature so I left the decision up to my children's father. He chose to have them circumcised. On a personal level I have never met a man who was troubled by the fact they were though I am sure there are many who do have a problem. My husband bluntly told me that if he had not been as a child he would have had it done as an adult. He is thankful his parents did it while he was young.
    I have an issue with a lot of the fear tactics being used by people who are against it. Many claims, usually with a photo of a crying baby, say that these children are "abused" "cut without medicine" and such. These are fear tactics. I know for a fact that both of my sons were given medicine to keep them from feeling it. They were also given topical pain medicine after the fact.
    I am neither for or against. I won't be having to make the choice again.

6. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

When it's all you've ever known then it's hard to be against it.
    I don't personally remember going through any pain and I have never regretted having been circumcised.
    Having said that female circumcision is mutilation. It's designed to stop a woman's ability to experience orgasms.
    Male circumcision doesn't do that.

I've read that male circumcision can reduce the level of sensation. So, in a way, it similar to female circumcision.

2. emilyzeinert profile image61
      emilyzeinertposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Male circumcision reduces sensitivity and sensation. In the case of FGM, there are various types. There is one type where just the hood of the clitoris is taken off, so sexual pleasure isn't stopped

7. profile image55
    johannabarnesposted 3 years ago

.  I am not against circumcision. My opinion is that in the child's future he'll been happy that you done it. Guys get bad infections, because it’s harder to keep it clean if they are not circumcised. I have six sons and they have all been circumcised.

Though this may be crass, it's not hard to keep the foreskin clean. As the owner of one I can say that it's quite easy for anyone with just basic hygiene habits. The "risk of infection" is greatly exaggerated.

2. Kylyssa profile image96
      Kylyssaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Infections caused by complications of the circumcision surgery are more common than infections resulting from not having it done. Infections can be prevented by washing. Children should be bathed anyway; what's one more part to wash?

working