Why is female circumcision abhorred but male circumcision praised?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Oztinato profile image74
    Oztinatoposted 3 years ago

Why is female circumcision abhorred but male circumcision praised?

I am not in favour of either.
    Clitectomy is not circumcision and does not refer to my question.

2. jlpark profile image85
    jlparkposted 3 years ago

I'm not sure why it's different. Particularly when both are usually done for cultural reasons.

I think that it is abhorred on females, because it is likely to be performed non-consentually, and basically makes them into a 'baby making' machine, leaving them with no enjoyment, prone to huge infections and even death.

Also - male circumcision is usually performed before the child remembers - as a baby, with pain relief etc. If it is performed as a right of passage for a male child growing into an adult - it is usually (note: USUALLY) with consent.

Female circumcision is usually not consentual (they are held down by elders), done when they are older enough to remember (somewhere after the age of about 7), and USUALLY involves clitectomy. Because in the cultures that perform it - is it about reducing the sensation of the clitoris as it can become enlarged and annoying the man (see this link: http://islamqa.info/en/45528 - medical benefits of female circumcision)

So when you say "Clictectomy is not circumcision" - its actually where it starts - Clitectomy is Type 1, it just gets worse from there.
    This is from WHO:
    1 - Clitoridectomy: partial or total removal of the clitoris (a small, sensitive and erectile part of the female genitals) and, in very rare cases, only the prepuce (the fold of skin surrounding the clitoris).
    2 - Excision: partial or total removal of the clitoris and the labia minora, with or without excision of the labia majora (the labia are "the lips" that surround the vagina).
    3 - Infibulation: narrowing of the vaginal opening through the creation of a covering seal. The seal is formed by cutting and repositioning the inner, or outer, labia, with or without removal of the clitoris.
    4 - Other: all other harmful procedures to the female genitalia for non-medical purposes, e.g. pricking, piercing, incising, scraping and cauterizing the genital area.
    ( http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs241/en/ )

But, I don't believe in forcing someone to have either, nor stopping someone who WANTS it done - however, female is usually illegal (at least it is in NZ, we are actually helping women 'fix' their infibulation FGM)

Interesting questions today Oz

Oztinatoposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Male circumcision often results in permanent damage or worse but the UN doesnt ban it or comment on it.
      Many avid opponents of "benign" female circumcision INSIST on male circumcision with the same vigour!

2. jlpark profile image85
      jlparkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That I do understand, and I also understand that it is not always done in a Drs office - but can be done like Female Circ - out the back, with a sharp rock. I think it's the inability to enjoy sex that most people find abhorrent with FGM.

3. Oztinato profile image74

I am not talking about FGM. Thats a totally different question.
      To put it another way why isnt male cicumcision seen as mutilation?

4. jlpark profile image85
      jlparkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree re: male - yes, it should be. But what exactly do you mean then with female circ? As when googled "female circ" - FGM is what comes up. It is also exactly what is described in the "medical benefits of female circ" link. FGM is female circ.

5. Oztinato profile image74

Female circumcusion is the snipping off of excessive inner labia for so called medical reasons same as the excuse for male circumcusion.

6. junkseller profile image83
      junksellerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Technically female circumcision is analogous to male circumcision and is removal of the prepuce which covers the glans in the male and the clitoris in the female. Male circumcision rarely has complications. Your information is bad.

7. Oztinato profile image74

jnksllr
      you prove my point as you are suggesting male circumcision is OK but female is not.
      I have to reiterate I am against both.

3. junkseller profile image83
    junksellerposted 3 years ago

People abhor female genital mutilation, but it sounds like that is not what you are talking about. Being that female/male circumcision are equivalent, I don't know why anyone would abhor one over the other. The particular circumstances might be abhorrent (ie. without consent, at an older age, without proper medical procedures/facilities, reasons for the removal, etc.) but physically, it is the same piece of skin being removed.

There are Freudian explanations regarding this which are too complex to explain here.

2. junkseller profile image83

So who exactly abhors female circumcision? I honestly don't know anyone or any group who does.

3. Oztinato profile image74

junkseller
      apparently the UN as well as most of the internet and public in the entire planet.

4. junkseller profile image83

The dislike is for female genital manipulation, which is a much more severe set of procedures than is circumcision.

5. Oztinato profile image74

Jnkslr
      FGM aside medical circmsn is identical. Many people who are against Female Crcmcsn are all for male. eg in Africa.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)