How Do I Correct My Toddler's Bad Habits.

1. profile image60
    Lilly Flowersposted 2 years ago

How Do I Correct My Toddler's Bad Habits.

- It will seem as if it is taking forever. The three weeks went by slowly at first and then suddenly there is a change.
    Redirection and Punishment
    - I am not a psychologist, however I have seeen with my own eyes how putting a kid in a corner before identifying the behavior can bbackfire. How are they to know what they are in the corner for? Then their mind moved onto other things so fast how are they to remember? Being consistent with the redirection and the punishment. The redirection may be an either / or statement. Whatever your creative parenting mind comes up with. :-)

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image83
    Kathleen Cochranposted 2 years ago

Don't reward the behavior.  If they are pitching a fit, don't give them an audience.  It's a good time for some alone time in their own room. 

If it's not sharing or hitting another child, at this age it's probably best to tell them that is not good behavior and move them away from the situation.

At almost any age they can tell by the tone of your voice that what they are doing is good or bad.

If it is something dangerous (touching the stove, running into the street) a swat on the bottom might be necessary to immediately communicate danger.  Some will not agree with corporal punishment, I'm sure.

If it is simply defiance, a time out works with even young children.  I'm old fashioned: time out for me are sitting in a corner.

Take my advice with a grain of salt.  I'm now a grandmother and times change.  I think the principles basically stay the same, but there may be new and better methods.

Good luck!

3. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

stern warning and nagging , that is what I need to correct my son. He wasn't happy and cried for  a bucket though