Do you practice tough love? Why or why not?

1. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 2 years ago

Do you practice tough love? Why or why not?

2. Besarien profile image86
    Besarienposted 2 years ago

Of course, I am a parent. All kids need to learn to care for their own safety and behave acceptably toward others. Appropriate discipline is necessary to the learning process. If you let little ones walk all over you, they will. Then they will learn their lessons the hard way, far too late in life to do them the most good.

3. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 2 years ago

I guess this would depend on the definition of "tough love".  Some people define tough love as being brutal and harsh.  I am very much about respect and ensuring my kids for example know clearly what the boundaries are, what is expected of them and what the consequences are should they break the rules.  I believe this is tough but firm, while others would see it as not "tough" enough.

Other people view tough love as micromanaging their kids for example - being super strict, and honestly I think that can backfire. Nothing annoys me more than some of these hovering "helicopter parents" that feel they have to control every tiny thing to "protect" their child.   I believe in giving my kids some freedom so long as they are responsible. 

Then you have some people like coaches who yell and scream at kids until their face turns purple and they call that "discipline" or "tough love" - I call that lack of control and inability to have a mature discourse with kids. 

It's all in one's opinion of what "tough love" is I suppose smile