Question for those who are step parents?

1. Tanya Fitzmorris profile image61
    Tanya Fitzmorrisposted 2 years ago

Question for those who are step parents?

Do you feel that that your bond with your own blood children is different then the bond you have with your step children?

2. Cynthia Hoover profile image95
    Cynthia Hooverposted 2 years ago

No. This could be because I was raised by my step father though. He honestly treated me better than my mother ever did. Being a step-parent takes a special person that is willing to raise another persons child as their own. I have a beautiful 5 year old step daughter (Skylar) and my son Collin is almost 2. I forget that she is not biologically mine most of the time to be honest. The only time its apparent is when she doesn't like something I ask her not to do, or when she gets in trouble. Then I hear "I miss my Mom", though she is learning that it will not get her out of trouble Lol. She often tells me she is lucky because she gets to have two moms. It can be a struggle at first to obtain a bond, as children can be resentful of the step-parent. I find that doing special crafts or activities one on one helps to a special bond early on. There is also a bit of jealousy at times now that she is a big sister - allowing her to help with little man helps create a stronger bong and reduce the jealousy as well. I find for me, it would be hard to not bond with a step child. Children are a blessing period, even if they do not share my DNA.