jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

What tricks do you use to win an argument?

1. Jan Lova profile image60
    Jan Lovaposted 2 years ago

What tricks do you use to win an argument?

2. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

Turn around and walk away. Argument ends. Done.

1. Jan Lova profile image60
      Jan Lovaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes Tim. This is the best way to avoid arguments. But what if you would really like to win that argument?

2. tsmog profile image82
      tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I understand, yes one may say that is avoidance. To answer I would need to know what the argument is about. To me an 'argument' is more personalized & much less factual. Writing an argument is something entirely different. You present both sides.

3. quicksand profile image80
    quicksandposted 2 years ago

Winston Churchill used to say "If I Agree With You We Both Would Be Wrong!"

4. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 2 years ago

If I ever revealed to someone the tricks I use to win an argument, I would have to kill that person. : )

5. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

I'm guilty of using 'big words' to knock the other debater off balance. It's a common practice to try to sound 'smarter' or to confuse. However I only do it when the other person resorts to personal attacks. Extremist debaters often resort to using your name to similar results. "Oh Dremer, you just don't understand. Try reading a book, Dremer." It's an attempt to treat the other person like a child and imply their ideas are juvenile. At that point, the gloves come off.

6. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

I only debate on things which can be proven one way or the other. Google has resolved most of my arguments! smile
    I never waste time trying to get people to {change} their beliefs or opinions. A (feeling) defies all logic and reasoning.

working