jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

Do you believe that the domination of woman in family matters is destructive?

1. m abdullah javed profile image78
    m abdullah javedposted 2 years ago

Do you believe that the domination of woman in family matters is destructive?

2. profile image0
    Janice Hornerposted 2 years ago

Hi Muhammad,  I think in any partnership or family as a whole, everyone should be given the chance to contribute their thoughts on any issues that are being discussed, especially if it affects them.

It is in my opinion that the old fashioned attitude where the man makes the final decision about everything is final.  I also do not think women should take the lead in everything either and that they have the last say!  It should always be about everyone discussing and everyone deciding what is the best solution  to resolve the problem.

Good question!

m abdullah javedposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hi Janice.... Impressive and the most pragmatic way of looking at the delicate familial matters.... Agree with you and thanks for the response.

3. Jonas Rodrigo profile image79
    Jonas Rodrigoposted 2 years ago

No. In my opinion, I don't think it should matter if it's the man or the woman who's dominating. But in the context of the real world, where men are viewed as superior to women, it is problematic that woman domination is a concern for some people.

Agree with you but that dominating mind set of either sex need to be corrected as it might create problems or stall the smooth functioning of family. Thanks Jonas for your answer.

4. Glenis Rix profile image98
    Glenis Rixposted 2 years ago

Marriage should be a partnership of equals. Compromise is necessary on both sides.

Exactly Glenis Rix. Thanks for the response.

5. profile image0
    Katrina Bourkeposted 2 years ago

I don't think anyone should be 'dominating', that screams unhealthy environment to me.

OK you can say over involvement instead of domination.

6. profile image0
    Kevin Goodwinposted 2 years ago

In my family my mother has a very dominate personality and she enjoys making family decisions. She has never been the one to take the high road. I think this is because it is her way of saying that even though she is the woman of the house in an emotional way she can also have a fiscal responsibility to the household. She has always have a job and helped my father with the responsibilities when it come to making decisions about money. Yet she was also there bringing me to soccer practice or music lessons or anything like that. MY father knows her personality and lets her dominate the household and for my family it works. But every family is different.

Good insight Kevin thanks for sharing your personal experience.

2. profile image0
      Janice Hornerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Very valid point Kevin, sometimes one dominant person can take control and things work out well.  What I feel here is that your family has a hearty respect for the lady of the house, and I sense lots of love revolving around her.

7. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 2 years ago

In many instances, the woman dominates anyway.  Here's a joke:  "When we first married, my wife and I agreed I would make all the big decisions and she would make all the little ones.  Would you believe in 50 years of marriage,  we never faced one important issue?"
    LOL!
    Usually, it's the most dominant person who dominates, and that has nothing to do with gender.  Technically, the wisest person should dominate - but that doesn't always happen...

An easiest approach towards a delicate issue Yoleen, you simply made it easy. Thanks for the response.

8. ValKaras profile image87
    ValKarasposted 2 years ago

The first question should be whether we are talking about a FULLY FUNCTIONAL family. That is, if one of the spouses is sick, or an addict, then the other one has to be "in charge".

However, in a functional family, spouses usually find out about strong and weak points of one another and arrange household duties accordingly. I have seen households where fathers were cooks, and mothers were career women, and that arrangement worked just fine for them. Then, father could be the one deciding about most things concerning kids, if he appears to have a "talent" for that  -  and mother may just hang around looking sweet.

What I am trying to say is  -  we can't generalize about these things, and generalizing is usually a very bad solution, because it means imposing a rule of either spouse on the grounds of a tradition or religion.

However, to answer directly to your question, the word "domination" that you used is way too heavy. When domination is present, then it's a tyranny, not a family with values based on love and respect. And respect is to be earned, not demanded. I always tried to be my kids' best friend with my love and guidance, and that was earning me their respect  -  not my size and some intimidating strategies. No one "dominates" over another human being. Not in this part of the world, not in this century anyway.

working