jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What are the advantages of an older sibling?

1. Ann810 profile image79
    Ann810posted 2 years ago

What are the advantages of an older sibling?

You can also answer if your the middle or youngest sibling.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13003603_f260.jpg

2. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7696838_f260.jpg

Neither of the above but knew of many people, including my mother an aunt, & a first cousin once removed who were oldest/older sibling.  The oldest/older sibling is the one that the younger/youngest siblings look up to for advice & guidance.  The oldest/older sibling is the one who is the example setter for younger/youngest siblings to emulate.  If the oldest/older sibling errs, the younger siblings learn from the mistake & most likely aren't going to do what the oldest/older sibling does. 

Oldest/older siblings teach younger/youngest things that parents can't, don't, or won't teach.  They will also tell the latter things that parents won't tell.  There is more of a generational bound between oldest/older & younger/youngest siblings than it is between parent & child. 

Oldest/older siblings have weathered difficulties so that younger/youngest siblings will have a much easier time.  They are there when the youngest/younger siblings need them.  They are the strong ones that youngest/younger siblings go to.  They are viewed by younger/youngest siblings is the strength of the family- the fixer upper & the responsible one.

Oldest/older siblings are seen as being powerful, even authoritative by younger/youngest siblings who admire the former's leadership ability.   Younger/youngest children feel powerless so they want the power that oldest/older siblings have.   Oldest/older siblings have the status that younger/youngest siblings want.....even crave.

Oldest/older siblings are adults in the eyes of younger/youngest children. To younger/youngest siblings, oldest/older siblings can do things that they aren't allowed to.  Oldest/older siblings can date, stay out late, & do other adult things that younger/youngest siblings cannot &/or aren't permitted to do.

Oldest/older siblings also bear the brunt of the familial responsibilities so the younger/youngest siblings won't have to.  They also bear the brunt of the discipline & punishments for what the younger/youngest siblings do with the note that the former should know better since they are the older ones.

3. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 2 years ago

They have lots and lots of baby pictures.

1. Ann810 profile image79
      Ann810posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with that, because my first daughter has more pictures. I didn't realize that until my second child brought it to our attention. Hummm interesting you know that about first-borns.      :-)

2. profile image0
      Cissy1946posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I asked my mom about the lack of photos of me as a baby too. I was second. She put it down to not having as much time. I think the novelty had just worn off.

3. Ann810 profile image79
      Ann810posted 2 years agoin reply to this

:-)  Cecelia, second children might be more alert than their parent, when it comes to making sure that her second child have just as many pictures as the first-born once the time comes for them to have children.

working