Do you believe that parents of single children infantilize their children & EXTR

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 7 years ago

Do you believe that parents of single children infantilize their children & EXTREMELY involved

their lives & parents of large families force their children to be ADULTS & are non-involved in their lives?There was an answer given which stated that parents of single children are overprotective, even micromanaging their children, depriving them of normal childhood & adolescent lives which is a false statement. There are more parents of large families who deprive their children, esp. oldest children of normal childhood & adolescent lives because the latter have to assume ADULT responsibilities in childhood such as working part-time to supplement income & parenting younger siblings.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12724005_f260.jpg

2. lisavollrath profile image92
    lisavollrathposted 7 years ago

I can only answer based on my own experience: I was an only child.

My father, who was also an only child, pretty much left me alone, and let me do my own thing. He rarely offered an opinion about anything unless I asked for it.

My mother, who was one of five children who survived to adulthood, micromanaged the heck out of my life. Even when I managed to break free of living with my family, and go to grad school, she continued to use emotional blackmail to get me to do everything her way. I finally cut her out of my life when I was 40, because the demands and expectations were too great, and the return was non-existent.

I'm not sure my experience is the norm when it comes to being an only child. I do seem to have made quite a number of friends whose mothers were equally controlling, to the point that they have been evicted from my friends' lives. This doesn't seem to be confined to friends who are only children, but it does seem to involve mothers who were raised during the Great Depression. Maybe lack of control in their early years made them need control as adults?

1. profile image52
      Versace Versaiposted 7 years agoin reply to this

3. profile image52
    Versace Versaiposted 7 years ago

I think that parents of single children tend to care more for their children because they see them as more precious and rare since they only have one child. Parents of more than one child probably don't see them as something to be cherished as much. You understand what I mean they probably find children harder to come by. I think that parents of large families are more unorganized as far as they have alot on them taking care of alot of kids. But I just think it depends on the kind of parenting like for example my half brother and sisters mom has 6 kids but growing up they had cell phones, money because their grandmother was rich, lots of different shoes and clothes and their mother kept them very involved in music and sports and other extracurricular activities, alot of friends and were all around normal happy children, while I lived with my mom and stepdad who only had 3 children and the rules were very strict we weren't allowed to go out with friends, wear shorts to school, have a phone or even cereal with marshmallows in them. They thought those things were too grown.

I would like to hear what you think on this.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You're so right, SPOT ON on this.  Parents of only children DO believe that their children are precious & treat them as such while parents of large families DON'T see their children as precious at all but somewhat herd-like.

4. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12681129_f260.jpg

It isn't that parents of single children infantilize them.  They see their children as precious.  They plan to have single children to give them the best opportunities whether it is educational, cultural, &/or socioeconomic.  They want their children to be exposed to the best. 

A few parents may be overprotective because they want to shield their children from negative elements which may disrepair their children.  Parents of single children are involved in their lives because they CAN be.  They have the emotional & psychological resources to give their children the individualized attention the latter need to thrive. It is common in single child families that there are 1:1 relationships & discussions between parents & children as there are no sibling interference nor competition.

Parents of large families are seldom, if ever, involved in their children's lives.  For the most or all part, children in large families raise themselves &/or each other.  Parents of large families let children to their own devices.  The rule of large families is akin to the law of the jungle-children either swim or fall through the cracks. 

Children who can successfully navigate their lives thrive while those who CAN'T oftentimes fall through the proverbial cracks.  Parents of large families AREN'T there for their children- it is EACH child for himself/herself or each other.  Parent-child relationships are next to non-existent in large families.

Parents of large families don't believe in communication w/their children, they leave that to the siblings. They DON'T view their children as precious since they have so many of them.  Children of large families are de-individualized & viewed & treated as part of a group.   Groupthink is common in the large family environment.

Since parents are uninvolved in their children's lives, they are pushed to be adults early.  Children in large families assume adult responsibilities in childhood, from working part-time & weekend jobs to supplement family income to raising themselves & other siblings.  Childhood is its strictest definition does not exist for children in large families.  One can say that childhood is a luxury for children in large families, perhaps w/the exception of the youngest.

5. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

It depends on the parents. Those that love the cuteness and baby phase tend to baby the child well past that age, and would be better off adding a pet. Those that hate the baby stage and treat the child like a little adult do not make that mistake, but there are tradeoffs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)