The Associated Press Updated 2:16 PM Sunday, November 27, 2011
CLEVELAND An Ohio third-grader who weighs more than 200 pounds has been taken from his family and placed into foster care after county social workers said his mother wasn't doing enough to control his weight.
The Plain Dealer reports (http://bit.ly/t68M7D ) that the Cleveland 8-year-old is considered severely obese and at risk for such diseases as diabetes and hypertension.
The case is the first state officials can recall of a child being put in foster care strictly for a weight-related issue.
Lawyers for the mother say the county overreached when authorities took the boy last week. They say the medical problems he is at risk for do not yet pose an imminent danger.
A spokeswoman says the county removed the child because caseworkers saw his mother's inability to reduce his weight as medical neglect.
Information from: The Plain Dealer, http://www.cleveland.com
do the authorities have the right to take way a child because they are obese? is it always the parents fault? social services needed to help with more intervention.what do you think?
1. Yes, in extreme circumstances.
2. Who else's fault is it? Mine? I control what my son eats till he is 18.
3. Absolutely, they need more money though. I'd rather take money from the defense budget to help children 10 times out of 10.
taking the child away because he is obese, well better take every child out of a home that smokes as well. It is the parents fault to an extent, some children will eat anything, my child ate cream cheese and such when there was nothing else fattening to eat. Taking money from the defense budget, do you realize
1. that is going to get more Soldiers killed, they are already over there with improper gear.
2. the Spouses left in the rear (at home) will not be getting the proper support. We have already lost over half of our programs to support us before during and after deployments
3. Our post on American soil will not be properly defended. already job cuts have taken over for those that protect us here in America.
4. Our bravest warriors those wounded will be getting less than100% care. they already don't have enough facilities for them all.
The defense budget goes to alot more than fighting the war,it goes to keeping every American safe at night and to keeping our Soldiers fighting with the right gear and our Families at home safe. Yeah it sucks that everyone has to bite the big one right now but look its not like it was in WWI or WWII.
Obviously you have bias to this subject. By no means do I think soldiers care should be cut.
1. Don't fight wars without the UN or unless with provacation, no soldiers die.
2. I don't know enough about this to comment. I'm not sure if this is a national guard program your talking about.
3. Where are you getting this conclusion from? I didn't give a dollar amount and I doubt you have that figure which would leave us unprotected from what? A Mexican/ Canadian war I guess.
4. I would never want a soldier to not get proper treatment, it saddens me that there's problems currently.
However you throw another unfounded statistic of one hundred percent, I don't know where this figure was conjured from.
I don't know where you get your figures from to conclude we would be unsafe, I would like to see them.
I do know 2% went to medical and scientific research and 3% went to education while 20% or 850+ billion went to defense. This figure sickens me.
There are many, many, many ways to cut spending from defense without compromising security.
by igniter85033 months ago
Why don't people care for their kids anymore??In today's world we see more parents not taking care of their kids the right way either ditching them with other people to take care of or no caring for them in general why...
by waterbottle20 months ago
i feel as if they need another chance, because most of the time it is not their fault for the position that they are in. so tell me how you all think about this topic... and also would You ever become a foster parent?
by ann4u2use69@yahoo6 years ago
how do you get your own child back from foster care?my son got tooken away from me Margo ann grandchamp when i moved in with the father
by Leaderofmany5 years ago
Are Foster Parents using the payments they receive to benefit the child or they using it to benefit themselves?
by Jack Lee5 months ago
This should be on the front pages of every newspaper...https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/te … 0000-1-dayWhy isn't it?
by Jay Louidor7 years ago
If you were President, what would you do different?
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.