Foster Care Payments

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Leaderofmany profile image59
    Leaderofmanyposted 12 years ago

Are  Foster Parents using the payments they receive to benefit the child or they using it to benefit themselves?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I suppose that depends on the foster parents. However, foster children and fostering children in general, can not only be very demanding, but expensive.I doubt that the sums given to foster parents are meant to be transferred entirely to the child, but to assist with feeding, clothing, family oriented activities and even, in some circumstances, to pay for child care. It's not so cut and dried.

2. holconrad profile image60
      holconradposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As the former foster parent of two sons, that I since adopted, I have to say that the payments that I received didn't even begin to cover my expenses. Both of my boys went to private schools, reived the same amount of love and attention as my biological son, and also the same amount of gifts on birthdays, christmas, easter and whenever else gifts were given. They went on vacations with the rest of the family, and participated in all family events. I cannot obviously speak for any other foster parents, but in my case, I did use the money for the good of the children.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Foster Parents are suppose to use the funds for the benefit of the child. However, this is subjective. There's a lot a child needs and those needs change constantly.

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years ago

The benefit of the child can also include housing and utilities, not just food and clothes.  If someone has foster children and needs to rent a place with more bedrooms, that could possibly be considered an expense related to foster parenting.

4. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

I don't think anybody signing up to be a foster parent - just for the $$$, isn't good for the child. hmm

5. starme77 profile image79
    starme77posted 12 years ago

alot do sign up just for the money and alot sign up looking to adopt - the foster care situation for children is not a good one. I was in a foster home - adopted actually - see there are a ton of tax breaks for adoptive parents also. I was one of 13 in the house - at age 14 I was expected to take care of every thing - from babies all the way up to 17 year olds - I had to clean and cook and try to finish high school - by age 17 I moved out on my own - thats when I found out I had a ss check because my Dad - who I also took care of along with the rest of the clan - well he was paralized on the right hand side - when I moved out I had to fight for my money cause the mom tried to keep it - when I grew up I took the foster care course - well I tried - I didnt make it past lunch time - it was totally disgusting - the teacher explained how virtually impossible they made it for the real parents to get the children back and they did it on purpose - well the people in the class looking to adopt and the people in the class looking for money - shit (sorry guys) you could literally tell em apart - we were told to tell the kids if they asked when they were going home that it would be soon even though we knew they most likley never would - I could in no way be a part of that crap - Now I am a foster parent for my ex mother in law - totally different - no one cares for the elderly - I am paid less than minimum wage - there is no money to be made from adoptions - no money to be made by the system - so no one cares and its seriously disgusting - my experience with both elderly and young fostering has turned my stomach on the entire system seriously it has

1. holconrad profile image60
      holconradposted 12 years agoin reply to this

starme77, I am so sorry to hear abour your experiences. I did get into fostering in order to adopt. I was given children that were not expected to be returned to their parents. I was considered a foster parent until the adoption took place. I had to abide by all of the rules that other foster parents had to follow. Getting permission for virtually everything that involved the children. The boys both had supervised parental visitations until the adoptions took place too. One of my sons was emotionally abused, and neglected and the other was physically abused. He had seven broken bones when I brought him home from the hospital at eight weeks old. I got into the system because I was unable to concieve after my first pregnancy and I felt that God wanted me to become a parent in a different manner. I love all three of my boys. They are all very different people and I am proud to be their mother.

6. Andrew Foss profile image59
    Andrew Fossposted 11 years ago

Get real. We've been foster parents for 8 years. And the money is not the reason we do it. The amount given does not even come close to the real cost of parenting and raising them. Given the pricing, you will never get rich. You take in children because you want to take care of children. The money offsets some of the expenses, and that is it.

1. starme77 profile image79
      starme77posted 11 years agoin reply to this

We are pretty damned real - I was sold - and used and all screwed around in the foster care system - so yeah - it happens hey 3,000 bucks back in 71 was alot of money. Believe me I am living proof not all foster parents want to take care of kids

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)