Illusion & Deception Lesson
Use this fun, hands-on lesson or "play date" activity to explore deception and illusions in art, magic tricks, literature, and more! I created this "lesson" to do as a two hour "play date" with my young children and some of their friends. Use this fun lesson with your class, family, preschool, or or homeschool co-op group!
Please DO NOT copy this elsewhere without giving proper credit: http://iijuan12.hubpages.com/hub/illusion-lesson
Deception and Illusion
1. Pray. Read and discuss Deuteronomy 18:9-11. Ask what how God protects us from getting deceived/tricked.
2. Reading about Daniel in lion's den and then briefly talk about how the advisers were being deceptive.
3. Illusion in art: Use pictures from M.C. Escher or optical illusion pictures and talk about how they trick the eye.
YOU WILL NEED: pictures from M.C. Escher
This is the perfect length for young children and stays true to what is stated in the Bible. I also like the historically inspired illustrations.
My children loved looking at M.C. Escher's illusions from this book!
Illusions in Magic
4. Optical illusion: Show a pen in a glass half-filled with water. Talk about why it looks broken.
YOU WILL NEED: a pen an a glass half-filled with water
5. Illusion in magic: Teach the children 2 simple magic tricks and have the each child perform them for us.
a. Show how to push a penny through your elbow. Hide one penny in your right hand. Take a second penny, show it to the audience, and then act like you're pushing it hard into your elbow. While you do that, position the penny between 2 fingers, move your arm up and drop the penny down the back of your shirt. Then open your right hand and pretend like it was the same one.
b. Make a pen "disappear" by hitting it against your hand and tapping down dramatically while counting, "One, Two, Three." After the count of 2 toss the pen behind your back but still pretend like you have it when you're counting, "Three."
YOU WILL NEED: 2 pennies per child, 1 pen per child, & a magician hat (optional)
Illusions and Miracles
6. Illusion vs. Miracle: Read the story of Jesus changing water to wine and discuss illusion vs. miracle.
7. Deception: Ask who the "great deceiver" is in Bible and ask who he deceived and how. Remind the children of the story of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. Mention how we are disobeying God when we are deceptive like Satan and we lie.
This was the perfect length for young children and has nice illustrations.
Deception in Literature: Snow White and Aesop's Fables
8. Read "Snow White" and ask who deceived and who was deceived. Note how God judged queen by sending her to a quick death. God will judge and destroy those who disobey Him.
9. Read Aesop's Fable "The Fox and the Crow." If desired, make a lapbook using this free set of lapbook pages on Aesop's Fables.
10. Snack: Cheese (like crow had) and crackers.
YOU WILL NEED: cheese, crackers, napkins, & cups for water
YOU WILL NEED: 2 paper bags per child, construction paper, markers, & scissors
12. Review what we learned.
Looking for all of my play date activity ideas/lesson written specifically for preschool and kindergarten aged children?
Explore horse breeds, gaits, diet, and more through games, cooking, and activities in the lesson on horses. Create a model lighthouse, play a lighthouse game, read books about lighthouses, "tour" lighthouses using YouTube, and even eat a lighthouse in this fun, hands-on lesson on lighthouses. Act like privates while training at boot camp, paint camo-style hats, set up a tent, battle using army men, and more in this exciting lesson the military.
- Horse Lesson Plan for Younger Children - Do you have a young child who loves horses? Use this fun, hands-on lesson or play date activity to explore horse breeds, gaits, diet, and more!
- Building & Home Construction for Young Children - Do you have a young child who loves tools and building things? Build and paint a bird house, construct a house out of pretzels, and more in this fun, hands-on lesson exploring the world of home construction!
- Butterfly Lesson for Children - Do you have a young child who loves butterflies? Create butterfly crafts and snacks, play butterfly games, and more in this fun, hands-on lesson exploring the amazing world of butterflies!
- Ladybug Crafts for Kids - Do you have a young child like mine who loves ladybugs? Create easy and adorable ladybug crafts and edible ladybugs, read these delightful ladybug books, watch the short ladybug video clips, and assemble ladybug lapbooks and worksheets during this fun hands-on lesson on ladybugs.
- Japan Lesson Plan for Younger Children - Make an origami paper crane, a carp fish kite, a Japanese meal, a Japanese doll, and more in this fun hands-on activity about Japan.
- Lighthouse Lesson - Create a model lighthouse, play a lighthouse game, read books about lighthouses, tour lighthouses using YouTube, and even eat a lighthouse in this fun, hands-on lesson or family activity on lighthouses.
- Sheep, Wool, & Weaving Lesson - Looking for fun preschool and kindergarten ideas on sheep and wool? Make and eat edible sheep, card and dye wool, paint sheep paintings, and more in this fun activity on sheep and wool!
- Manners Lesson - Are you looking for a fun and interactive way to teach your children manners and etiquette? Use this fun role-playing lesson to practice manners at meals, on the phone, as a host or hostess, and more!
- Military Party for Children - Act like privates while training at boot camp, paint camo-style hats, set up a tent, battle using army men, and more in this fun 2 hour lesson, party, or family activity on the military.
- Laws and Obedience Lesson - Looking for a fun way to help preschoolers learn about obedience and laws? Create and eat edible 10 Commandments, play Cops and Robbers after reading about police officers, act of the fall of Adam and Eve, and more!
- Illusion & Deception Lesson - Use this fun, hands-on lesson or family activity to explore deception and illusions in art, magic tricks, literature, and more!
- Attributes of God Lesson for Young Children - Are you wondering how to teach your preschooler or young child about God and His character? Use this fun, hands-on lesson, family activity, or play group time to explore who God is and what He is like!
- Gingerbread Man Lesson for Kindergarten - Ready for a fun kindergarten literature lesson on The Gingerbread Man? Compare and contrast two versions of the story, decorate gingerbread cookies, create character finger puppets to re-tell the story, and more in this fun literature lesson on The Gingerbread Man!
- Fun, FREE Hands-on Unit Studies - Looking for all of my lessons and unit studies? Over the years I have posted over 30 science and social-studies based unit studies, compromised of more than 140 lessons. For each lesson I have included activities (with photos), our favorite books and YouTube video clips, lapbook links, and other resources. I posted links to all of my unit studies and lessons at the above link.
Would you like to teach this way every day?
I use Konos Curriculum as a springboard from which to plan my lessons. It's a wonderful Christian curriculum and was created by moms with active children! You can even watch free on-line videos as Jessica, one of the co-authors of Konos, walks you through a unit. (Look for the Explanation Videos tab.)
If you're new to homeschooling or in need of some fresh guidance, I highly recommend Konos' HomeSchoolMentor.com program! Watch videos on-line of what to do each day and how to teach it in this great hands-on format!