- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Easy Black Bean Soup Recipes
Enjoy Black Bean Soup
Healthy Black Bean Recipes
Just open a can or two of black beans and get creative with soups or salads. Most of us like recipes that are easy, tasty and economical. This black bean soup can be made quickly and works for the main course for a quick lunch of dinner. Cooking with black beans is not only extremely healthful and economical but stores well in the freezer for months. You may think of hot soup in the winter, but actually this soup is good any old time. If you have a stash of black beans in your freezer this recipe goes up quite fast. Though I like to use fresh beans, I always keep a few cans in the pantry for last minute meals. For a few dollars you can feed your family for several meals.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 3-4 hours
Servings: 12 to 15
- A very large soup pot
- One gallon of water
- 8 cups of black beans
- Three garlic cloves
- Two cups of chopped celery
- Two cups of chopped carrots
- Two cups of chopped tomatoes
- One cup of chopped parsnip
- One cup of chopped kale
- One cup of chopped cilantro
- One-half cup of cider vinegar
- Two seeded jalapeno peppers
- Seasonings: Two tablespoons of oregano, basil, cumin
- One teaspoon or more to taste: Cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnishes: avocados, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream
- Rinse the black beans thoroughly and drain.
- Add the beans to the gallon of water and cook for at least two hours. Check to be sure the beans are tender at this point. They should be tender but not over-cooked.
- Add all the chopped vegetables except the tomatoes.
- Remove the seeds from the jalapenos and add them to the soup.
- Add all the seasonings.
- Add the vinegar to the soup.
- Cook for a half-hour to an hour. Add the tomatoes.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Taste the soup to see if it needs more of the seasonings. Add more cayenne pepper if you like your soup really HOT.
- Turn off the stove and let the soup sit for another half-hour.
Serving Suggestions for Black Bean Soup
As you can see there are many variations on easy recipes for black beans. Dress up this recipe for black bean soup with chopped avocado, a dolop of sour cream or shredded cheddar cheese. One or all of the above will add to the taste of the soup. Add a green salad and some crunchy hot sour dough bread and you have a complete meal.
Black bean soup
Some of my other soup recipes
Health benefits of black beans
Black beans are filled with vitamins and minerals. The beans also provide a great deal of fiber that you need daily. The beans as with all legumes help regulate your blood sugar. And not to repeat myself they are very cheap and filling. Cook up batches of beans and put them in small containers and freeze when you need a quick meal, snack or appetizer.