Cast Iron Skillet Deep Dish Pizza
Please Rate :)
My husband had a craving for deep dish pizza, but he wanted to try something new. So he made a deep dish pizza in a cast iron skillet. It was yummy!
- 1 bag pizza dough, Usually found in the bakery section of your grocery store
- 2 sliced chicken sausages, organic
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced bell peppers, yellow and red
- 1/2 cup onions
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- As much as you want Boars Head turkey pepperoni
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 tbsp for the sauce and 1 tbsp for the "toppings"
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 1/3 cup chopped tomatoes
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon + a dash salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Flour, use as needed
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- In a saucepan cook olive oil, garlic, and tomatoes for a few minutes. Add the tomato sauce, basil, parsley, fennel seeds, onion powder, salt, pepper. Crush the marjoram and oregano with your thumb in the palm of your hand to release the flavor. Bring to a boil and then let the sauce simmer on low until you are ready to pour it in to the pizza. If it gets too thick add a little bit of water, but you want the sauce to be thick so that it doesn't make the bottom crust too soggy.
- Put the other tablespoon of olive oil in the pan and cook the sausage. Cook through and then set aside. Then add mushrooms, onions to the pan. Sprinkle a dash of salt on the mushrooms and onions to draw out water. Pour out any water in the pan. Next add the peppers and saute the vegetables for a few minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Put some flour on a clean surface in a pile then put the pizza dough on top. Knead the dough and cut in half to make 2 dough balls. Roll them out to make two flat round pieces (the bottom pizza pie crust and the top). Use flour as needed to keep the dough form sticking to your hands or the surface.
- Place the bottom pizza pie crust in the cast iron skillet and push it in to form to the skillet. Add your toppings and then sauce. Sprinkle the cheese on top and then cover with the top pie crust.Using a fork poke holes in the top pizza pie crust.
- Bake @ 350 for 30 min. Let the pizza stand for at least 10 minutes. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Also try these family favorites!
- Flavor Blast Lasagne Cups
Lasagne cups are nothing new. Although if you like your food very flavorful like me or my family, then this is the recipe for you. My family loves this recipe. They especially liked the use of the wonton wraps, which gave the Lasagne cups a crispy bo
- Delicious Spinach or Broccoli and Bacon Quiche
When ever I make quiche, I make two. For three reasons: A) because people love it, B) because certain people in my family prefer different fillings, and C) because the pie crusts come in packs of two, he he.
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie
We loved this recipe! It was easy to make and very delicious. This is perfect for any occasion.