Chicken in Green Pepper Corns and coconut milk
Serve this Vietnamese chicken recipe with crisp baguette for a delicious family meal.
This recipe was sent to me by a very good friend of mine from Vietnam. He didn’t let me put his name here but he said he is very fond of couple of chicken dishes from Vietnam and would send another recipe soon. The specialty of this chicken is that it uses coconut juice in large quantities during its preparation which makes it very healthy as we all know how healthy coconut milk is. This dish does not use much of oil, so even those who are watching their weight can also eat it in moderation. The various spices in the chicken give it a unique oriental flavor.
- Chicken: 1 cleaned properly and chopped in two quarters. Make sure it is big chicken about 3 pounds or 1.5 hg.
- Coconut Juice or milk: 2 liters
- Garlic: 2 Tbsp finely chopped.
- Spring onions: 8 peeled. If you can get red spring onions or shallots then it are better otherwise any would do.
- Onion: ½ red cut in to wedges.
- Tomatoes: 4 chopped.
- Carrot: 1 red cut in to cubes.
- Green Pepper Corns: 55 grams or about 2 Oz
- Fish Sauce: 4 tbsp.
- Vegetable oil: 2 Tsp.
- Annatto Oil: 1 Tsp.
- Baguette: 4
- Sugar: 2 Tsp
- Salt: 3 Tsp or as per taste.
- Take a mortar and pestle.
- Put half of the green pepper corns in it and bruise them lightly.
- Put these in to a large bowl.
- Add garlic, 2 tsp of salt, 1 tsp sugar and chicken pieces in it.
- Now with hands apply these on the chicken thoroughly.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for one hour, so the chicken absorbs all the aroma and taste of the marinade.
- Now on high heat put Vegetable oil in a large pan.
- When oil is heated then add garlic and remaining green pepper. Fry them till it gives fragrance of the garlic and pepper.
- Let the chicken cook for few minutes till chicken starts getting brown.
- Add annatto oil and stir.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and cubed carrots and stir again.
- Now add coconut juice, spring onions, fish sauce and remaining salt and sugar.
- Bring the mixture to boil. There would be some impurities which would rise to surface. Remove them.
- Now turn the heat to low.
- Let the chicken cook for about 40 minutes uncovered.
- When chicken is cooked, garnish with remaining pepper corns and serve with crisp baguette.
- If you do not have baguette, then you can serve it with rice too.
- The quantity of pepper corns can be decreased as per taste.
More Chicken Dishes
- Chicken And Orange Salad Recipe
This is also known as Roast Chicken Salad with Orange Dressing. It is very easy to make. Takes only a few minutes to make and is very healthy. It has got right combination of meat, vegetables and fruits. It is very tasty and children would love to ea
- Greek Chicken With Rice.
Chicken and rice has a very long history. Take any cuisine in the world and you would find countless recipes of chicken and rice. In India we have a full cuisine which is called Biryanai. It is made of rice and meat (usually chicken or mutton). Every
- Chicken Egg Fried Rice Recipe.
This recipe is for both kids and adults. It is very tasty dish, easy to cook and is liked by both children and adults. This recipe contains egg, chicken and rice which are all liked by everyone including children. This dish is especially for those mo
- Silky Chicken Kebabs Recipe
Kebabs have been favorite dish of Muslim Indian Royalty since long. They used to employ special cooks to make kebabs. It was said that if a cook is not Kebabs then he doesn’t know cooking at all. Kebabs are usually made from mutton ( lamb or goat mea
- Balti Chicken Recipe.
Balti chicken is one of the main dish from Indian cusine. It gets its name balti chicken because it is served in a Balti ( small bucket). It is not only very tasty dish but it is easy to prepare and don’t take hours or extra ordinary skills to make.
- Kashmiri Chicken Recipe
Kashmir is the Northern Most part of India. It is one of the most beautiful place on earth. One poet said about Kashmir that if there is paradise on earth then it is here in Kashmir. Because of rich culture and history of Kashmir, it has developed it