- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southern European Cuisine
Greek Chicken With Rice.
Rice With Greek Chicken
Chicken and rice has a very long history. Take any cuisine in the world and you would find countless recipes of chicken and rice. In India we have a full cuisine which is called Biryanai. It is made of rice and meat (usually chicken or mutton). Everyone loves the combination of rice and chicken. Children just love the taste of rice and chicken together. This recipe is boons for those mothers who are always complaining that their children eat nothing and who always run after their children with food. Though the Chicken used in this is kind of which is made more in Greece but can be easily made anywhere in the world. The gradients are easily available in the nearby store and if not in store then on E bay and Amazon.com.
Since this recipe is basically made from chicken and that too skinless, it has very little fat, so is healthy too especially for the kids.
1. Chicken Thighs: 8
2. Basmati Rice: 7 Oz / 200 grams.
3. Feta Cheese: 2 Oz / 60 grams crumbled.
4. Chicken stock: 8 Fl. Oz / 250 ml.
5. Canned Tomatoes: 1 pound and 12 oz / 800 grams.
6. Black olives: 10 chopped and pitted.
7. Corn oil / Olive oil: 2 Tbsp
8. Onion: 1 Red finely chopped.
9. Garlic Cloves: 4 small chopped.
10. Thyme: Fresh 1 Tsp chopped.
11. Oregano: Fresh chopped 2 tsp.
12. Fresh oregano springs: 4 to garnish.
Method of Prepration
1. First of all take the legs of the chicken and remove all the skin from it.
2. Keep aside
3. Take a flame proof casserole.
4. Heat oil in it.
5. Now put 4 pieces of chicken thigh in the oil.
6. Mix well with oil.
7. Now put remaining pieces of chicken in the oil.
8. Mix all well.
9. Now on medium heat cook for about 10 minutes.
10. Cook till chicken turn golden brown.
11. Now take a plate and put an absorbent paper on it.
12. Transfer the chicken on that plate.
13. Now in the casserole add onion and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
14. Add rice and 2 fl oz (¼ of the stock) of chicken stock.
15. Cook on medium flame for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
16. Don’t stir too much or rice would break.
17. By this time the onions would have softened, if not cook for another minute.
18. Add remaining herbs and tomatoes and cook for one minute.
19. Add remaining chicken stock.
20. Now from the plate take the chicken thighs and put them in the casserole.
21. Mix well with rice and make sure the chicken thighs are well covered by rice.
22. Now bring the mixture to boil.
23. Reduce heat.
24. Cover the casserole.
25. Simmer it for about 25 to 30 minutes, till chicken is cooked and tender.
26. Now add the olives and mix it well with rice.
27. Now take the crumpled cheese and sprinkle on top of the rice.
28. Garnish with oregano springs.
29. Serve hot.
1. Never stir too much of uncooked rice as it would break long grain rice in to small pieces.
2. Don’t put too much of liquid or rice won’t dry properly.
3. If you over cook the chicken then the meat of chicken leaves bones, so do not over cook chicken.
Does it look tasty enough for you to try it?
More cooking hubs by me
- Tandoori Bell Pepper
Tandoor is an Indian cooking earthen pot which is heated with charcoal or wood to a high degree and it roasts the dishes to a distinct aroma and taste. If you don’t have tandoor , you can also use an over to roast the ingredients. Bell pepper is easi
- Egg Roast Recipe
Egg roast is a popular dish from the state of Kerala which is in south of India. Kerala which has a tag line of “God’s own country” is a very beautiful state with lots of water and greenery. This state is probably is one of most beautiful state of In
- Fish Tikka Recipe
Fish tikka is one of the authentic Indian cooking. This dish is definitely Punjabi and since there is no sea near Punjab so only fresh water fish is used in this dish. Fish Tikka is famous now in all over India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and in parts of wo
- Chicken Biryani Recipe
Biryani is a famous Indian cuisine. Biryani is made from rice and meat and care should be taken to have a long grain basmati rice. The basmati rice belt is in the part of Haryana between Delhi and Chandigarh. The rice which qualifies to be called as
- Egg paranthas
Roti and paranthas are staple food for north Indians. In the northern state of Punjab it is very common to have paranthas in breakfast daily. Even though it is high on calories but is liked by all the north Indians. Paranthas are eaten in breakfast l