- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Crock Pot Applesauce
This recipe has become a huge sucess. I've shared it with many, many friends and it's so well loved, not to mention super easy!
My kids love applesauce. I hated buying it and knew there had to be an easy way. It can be adapted so easily as well. I've found it's best if you use at least 2 different varieties of apple, the more the better, making the flavor more complex. Mixing in different fruits is also a great way to change up this recipe. Peaches, Pears, Strawberries or Pineapple are all great additions!
So you started your applesauce then forgot about it. No worries, it becomes a rich and caramelly Apple Butter!!! Just continue to cook until it reaches that dark color, be sure to stir it frequently.
- 18-24 apples, chopped
- 5 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 lemon zest, peeling
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Peel and chop apples. Number of apples needed will depend on your crock. I used a 3 quart crock pot and it took about 18 small apples.
- Place all other ingredients on top of apples. Cover with lid and set crock pot to low. Stirring every hour or two.
- Use a whisk to help break down apples once they begin to soften. This should take about 4 to 6 hours.
- Once desired consitency is reached, spoon into sterilzed jars. Jars can be processed in a water bath according to your elevation or can be frozen. Unprocessed sauce should be refridgerated and used within 3 weeks.
My Other Recipe Hubs
Other Crock Pot Recipes from my Blog
- Mommy Makes it Better: Crockpot Mixed Fruit Butter
Same technique with amazing results
- Mommy Makes it Better: Crockpot Caramelized Onions
Just as simple and oh so delicious.