- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Dhokar Dalna Recipe | A lesson in Lentil Cakes | Special Bengali Dish
I just feel low these days and always my mom's face is coming in front of my eyes. But there is no option to go to my Mom's place right now.Everyday I talk to her for several hours, but still I miss her, I miss each and every small thing about her. And I have a sweet little princess with me always. She creates so many troubles for me and engaging me whole the day.and I just forgot when I feel I what?
Today I am sharing a masterpiece of Bengali Dish. This is the most tasty mom's hand made dish for me.I remember, in my childhood days, when I was just waiting and had a huge craving for this dish for my lunch.
Dhokar Dalna is a dish prepared from Chana Dal/Bengal Grams soaked in mouth watering Bengali style curry. This delicious recipe is basically a traditional Bengali dish. In most of the Bengali’s weekly menu card, those found a space. It looks gorgeous after serving and attracts attention of your non-Bengali guests. I learnt this recipe from my mom. Today, I would like to share this particular recipe for my non- Bengali friends, hoping that Bengalis are fully aware of the fact of making this dish.
Rate : Lentil Cake Curry Recipe
More Tasty Yummy Veg-Recipes
- Green Peas Masala Recipe | A Perfect Side Dish for C...
Green Peas Masala Recipe | A Perfect Side Dish for Chapathi :Green Peas Masala Recipe
- Creamy Green Peas Recipe | Green Peas Recipe | How t...
TRy this creamy recipe, u'll love it
- Paneer (Cottage cheese) in Hot Garlic Sauce Recipe
Paneer in Hot Garlic Sauce I love the combination of onion and garlic and these always amazes me to the amount I
- Navaratan Korma Recipe
Navratan Korma I am not very much fond of vegetables but when it comes to Navratan Korma, i change my mind :)
- Vegetable Fried Ball Recipe : Nutritional Indian Sna...
A typical Bengali Snack....Fried Vegetable Ball , are commonly known as Vegetable Chop among the Bengali.
- Sweet Corn Soup (Veg) Recipe
Easy to make...A tasty homemade soup for kids
- 1 Cup Bengal Gram/Cholar Daal, Soaked in water overnight
- 1 tbsp Ginger Paste
- 4-5 Green Chili
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Red Chilli, Powdered
- 3-4 tbsp Sunflower oil
- To Taste Salt and Sugar
- 1/2 tbsp Kashmiri Chili Powder
- 2l Potatoes, chopped into eight pieces
- 1 tbsp Rosted Cumin Powder
- 1 tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Ghee
- 1 Bayleave
- 2-3 Cardamoms
- 1/2 inch Chinamon
- 1 tbsp Yogurt
- 1 Tomato, Chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin seed
How to make Dhoka/ Lentil Cakes
## Drain the excess water from the lentil and grind with 2 green chili,1/2 tbsp roasted cumin powder,1/2 tbsp garam masala powder,1/2 tbsp ginger paste, salt and sugar (as per taste). Make a paste.
## Heat a pan. Put the paste in the Pan (without oil). Stir continuously on low flame. Cook for 5 mins or less (until the mix comes off).
## Lentil should be cooked and soft (not hard). Pour the mixture on a spread plate and pat it using your hand to form a flat structure (while the mixture is warm).
## Cut into square or diamond shape using a knife.
## Heat oil in a pan and fry the lentil cakes for a while (until golden brown color comes in both sides).Keep them aside.
Note: The remaining mixture left in pan, remove using water and keep the water mixture for later use of making gravy.
How to make Dhokar Dalna
- Heat Oil in a pan and fry the potatoes first.Fry till they become slight brown.Keep them separate..
- Now put some oil and add bay leaves, red chili, cardamoms, cinnamons,1 tbsp cumin seeds.Saute it for sometimes and add ginger garlic paste.
- Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, sugar, salt, red chili powder,cumin powder and green chili.Stir well to mix them properly.
- Cover the pan sometimes (3 mins).Open the cover and check whether the tomatoes are smahed properly or not.Add yogurt and mix well.
- Add the potatoes and mix with the curry mixture.Cook for 5-7 mins till the oils comes out.
- Add water (with additional excess water mixture, mentioned in above NOTE) and cover for some time. Check meanwhile whether the potatoes are done.
- When the potatoes are boiled properly add lentil cakes and cover for 3 mis.
- Add ghee and rosted Garam Masala Powder.Stir well
- DHOKAR DALNA is ready to serve. Serve it with plain rice and Enjoy.
© 2014 M K Paul