Easy Peasy Bean and Beef Burritos
This is one of my family's go to dishes for busy evenings, or when neither of us wants to make dinner.
It's super easy to prepare (See my article on Preparing Your Hamburger Meat Ahead of Time), super easy to compile, and even easier to eat.
How can you go wrong with tortillas, beans, cheese and hamburger meat?
Of course, we make a great deal of quick and easy Mexican dishes in our home, using all of the same familiar ingredients.
On any given day you might find us making Avocado Chicken Tacos, Chicken Velveeta Enchiladas, Chicken and Cheese Flautas, Crock Pot Taco Soup, Mexican Pizza, Chicken Tortilla Casserole, and even Chicken Tortilla Soup.
Man, speaking of all of those dishes is making me hungry right now! It's hard being skinny when you love food so much.
And you can really make this your own! We use white cheese because it has less fat and is healthier, we make our own Homemade Tortillas, Fresh Homemade Tomato Salsa, and even Quick and Easy Creamy Guacamole Dip to eat with our burritos.
I'm sure there's even a recipe for making your own refried beans. You can even add a horde of other delicious vegetables and toppings to make your family happy!
Let's get to making them and enjoy!
- 4 regular tortillas, (these are actually corn by the way)
- 2 cups shredded cheese, any flavor
- 1 (15oz) can refried beans
- 1 pound hamburger
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Assemble all of your ingredients together for your burritos.
- If you need to thaw or cook hamburger meat, this is the time to do so.
- I thaw mine in the microwave, but it is already cooked. My husband normally cooks all of it upon coming home from the grocery store, and then bags it into separate pounds in sandwich bags for easy use later.
- While your meat is thawing/cooking, open up your can of refried beans.
- Empty it into a microwaveable bowl and smash it down into the bowl.
- Empty your thawed, cooked hamburger into a bowl for serving.
- Pop your refried beans into the microwave, cover them, and heat them according to the directions on the can.
- You can also do this in a small pot on the stove.
- Pour about 2-3 tablespoons of taco seasoning into your hamburger meat and mix thoroughly.
- Remove your beans from the microwave and place your needed tortillas on a microwaveable plate.
- Microwave them for about 15 seconds just to heat them.
- Now you can fill your tortillas.
- Start by filling each tortilla with about a cup to a half cup of refried beans and spread down the middle.
- Now add about a half cup of seasoned hamburger meat to your burrito, spreading it down the middle with your beans.
- Finally, top your burrito with about a half cup of shredded cheese.
- Fold the sides of the tortilla over your fillings.
- Yummy! Yummy!
|Serving size: 1 medium burrito|
|Calories from Fat||198|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 22 g||34%|
|Saturated fat 7 g||35%|
|Unsaturated fat 13 g|
|Carbohydrates 58 g||19%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 10 g||40%|
|Protein 28 g||56%|
|Cholesterol 57 mg||19%|
|Sodium 981 mg||41%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
This is such an easy dinner to throw together in just a few minutes.
When I don't know what else to make, don't have much time to make anything, or am simply just hankering for beef, bean and cheese, this is the perfect dish!
Just as with all of my other recipes, what's great is that you can make this however you want. Include salsa, onions or guacamole. Drizzle queso and chopped tomatoes over the top.
You could even make this a fancier dish by rolling these up like enchiladas, smothering them in sauce and baking them in the over for 10 minutes or so at 350 degrees F.
Our favorite part of this meal is the speed and efficiency with which we can make such a delicious dish for dinner.
I hope you love them as much as we do!!
What is your favorite traditional Mexican dish?
© 2014 Victoria Van Ness