- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Haitian Hot Pot Reicpe
Haitian Hot Pot
Haitian cuisine is a melting pot of African, Creole, French, and native island cultures. The spicy soups and stews include squash, potatoes, turnips, beans, and of course, tropical chili peppers.
Rate This Recipe
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 large green or gred bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 3 or 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 scotch bonnet or habanero pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 cups butternut squash or west indian pumpkin, diced
- 2 cups potatoes, coursely chopped
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, dried
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, drained
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and chili pepper and cook, stirring, for 5- 6 minutes over medium high heat. Add 8 cups water, the squash, potatoes, turnip, parsley, thyme, salt, and turmeric and bring to a simmer. Cook for 40 - 45 minutes over medium low heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in the beans and cook for about 5 minutes more. Tho thicken, mash the squash and potatoes against the side of the pan with the back of a spoon.
- Ladle the stew into bowls and serve at once. Accompany with warm crusty bread.
West Indian pumpkin, is also called Cababaza,and is available in Caribbean and Latin American markets and occasionally at well-stocked supermarkets.
More Delicious Spicy Recipies
- Firecracker Shrimp Jambalaya
firecracker shrimp jambalaya
- Spicy Chicken Wings; Great Super Bowl Recipe
Spicy Chicken wings, a great Superbowl treat.
- Curried Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
curry sweet potato chicken goes well with yellow basmati rice. Curried chicken. Chicken sweet potato, curry chicken recipe. Chicken breast.