Hearty Stuffed Pepper Soup with Vegetarian Option
A new twist on an old favorite.
This hearty tomato based soup is full of rice, hamburg, peppers and onions and has all the taste of traditional Stuffed Peppers.
Looking for a great Vegetarian soup recipe? This recipe can easily be made into Vegetarian Stuffed Pepper Soup by preparing without the hamburg.
Delicious topped with Mozzarella cheese or served with warm, crispy garlic bread.
Rate the Recipe!
Ingredients for Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 2 cups Enriched Long Grain Rice, Uncooked
- 1 stick butter
- 1 tbp. Kosher or Sea Salt
- 1 lb. Hamburg
- 2 Green Peppers
- 2 Orange Peppers
- 2 Red Peppers
- 2 Yellow Peppers
- 1 lg. White Onion
- 2 cans Tomato Puree, 28 oz.
Cook the Rice
In a saucepan with a tight fitting lid, over medium to high heat, bring 5 cups of water, stick of butter and salt to a boil. Turn heat to low, add the 2 cups of rice and stir.
Stir rice at 10 minutes, then again at 20 minutes. At 30 minutes check to make sure the rice is fully cooked.
Prepare the other Ingredients
- In a saute pan brown the hamburg. When done, drain and add to large soup pot. If you are making the Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers skip to step #2.
- While the hamburg is cooking, dice the onion and peppers. When hamburg is done, use the same saute pan to saute the onions and peppers until tender. Add to hamburg in large soup pot.
- Add both cans of tomato puree to the soup pot and stir.
- When rice has finished cooking add it to the soup pan, mixing well.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper. If you like spicy you can add Crushed Red Pepper Flakes.
- Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
The Stuffed Pepper Soup can be served in individual soup bowls topped with shredded Mozzarella cheese. You can also serve it with warm, crispy garlic bread for dipping.
Similar Recipes to Try
If you like this recipe you may also want to try the Portuguese Stuffed Pepper Appetizers.