- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
How to make hot and sour soup
CHINESE SOUP - HOT AND SOUR SOUP
Make money online with hubpages
Interested in learning how to make money online with hubpages. Click here to get started.
It's free, it's easy, it's residual income!
Delicious hot and sour soup (also known as pungent and hot soup)
You do not need to go to a Chinese Restaurant to enjoy your favorite ethnic cooking. This simple chinese soup has several different versions based on where in China it was derived from.This hot and sour soup is based on the northern version of hot and sour soup (also known as pungent hot soup).
For this recipe you will need the following ingredients:
salt, pepper, tapioca powder (or cornstarch), soy sauce, pork, sesame oil, rice vinegar (or black vinegar), sugar, chicken stock, dried mushrooms (medium), egg, water, green onion, white onion, and cilantro.
Measurements for hot and sour soup
SEASONING: (which you can find in any ethnic/chinese food store as well as most larger supermarkets):
1 tsp of tapioca powder or cornstarch
1.5 tsp of soy sauce
2 tsp of sugar
1/2 cup of juliened (boneless) pork. Pork should be julianed to about 1/8 by 1/8 by 2 inches, but you can make it thicker or thinner depending on your own preferences.
HOT AND SOUR MIXTURE:
1.5 tsp of sesame oil
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp of pepper
1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar
4 cups of chicken sotck
3 chopped black mushrooms (if dried, hydrate in hot water for 5 minutes
1/2 cup of thin sliced bamboo shoots
1.5 tablespoons of tapioca powder
2 tablespoons of water
1 cup of bean curd (soft)
1 egg, lightly beaten with a wik
1.5 tablespoons of minced green onion
1 tablespoon of minced white onion
2 tablespoons of cilantro
Other great soups
Preparation of the soup
1. Mix all the seasoning ingredients (tapioca, soy sauce, sugar, and pork) listed above into a medium sized bowl. Make sure the pork is well covered with the other seasoning ingredients.
2. Bring chicken stock to a boil in a medium pot. Add the sesame oil, soy sauce, salt, pepper to taste, rice vinegar, mushrooms, bamboo shoots and the now-seasoned julienne pork slices. Reduce heat to medium, stirring intermittently, and cook for 5-7 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to low. Mix the 1.5 tablesppons of tapioca with water and add gradually to the soup, stirring constantly as is thickens. Then add the soft bean curd.
4. Return to a boil, and add the beaten egg.
5. garnish with the onions and cilantro.
6. Enjoy. This hot and sour soup should serve 4-5 people.
Other Chinese Recipes
- The best Chinese food ever: Kung Pao Chicken... spicy recipe (KUNG POW!)
My favorite Chinese Recipe. Kung Pao Chicken (spicy)!
- Healthy Stir-Fried Bok Choy (variation of traditional chinese bok choy recipe)
Healthy and delicious stir-fried bok choy. A simple 6-step chinese recipe for how to make tradional bok choy stir fry!
Some of my other writings:
- cost structure of a new cleaning company (what should your cleaning business be doing?)
- frugal living and having fun: live like a king on a jester's salary
Live like a king on a lower income. Follow these easy steps to save money. Frugal living is the way to go!
- Financial analysis of two companies
Financial Analysis of two companies. We put Darden Restuarants up against Brinker International. See who had the better ratios, margins, etc...
- Starbucks Strategic Analysis (New strategies to stay ahead of coffee competitors)
Starbucks Strategic Analysis and Economic Analysis
- Specialty coffee industry analysis (is starbucks still the king?)
Specialty Coffee Industry Analysis. Starbucks verse Dunkin Donuts and McDOnals. Is the Coffee Industry slowly changing?
- Make Money Like It's Your Job: A Beginner's Guide To Passive Income (how to get to
Make money using passive income techniques. Residual income every day!