Island Bites: Tropical Coconut Cupcakes
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups self rising flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
Click for my vegan version of this recipe.
- Island Bites: Coconut Cupcakes (Vegan)
This is a delicious vegan version of my Coconut Cupcakes recipe.
- In a big bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- In a another bowl, mix flour, spices and baking powder.
- In 3 parts, alternately add the dry ingredients and the coconut milk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined.
- Fill the cupcakes liners about 1/2 full. Bake at 350 for 13 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick tester comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting.
To make Coconut Frosting
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening, room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tbp coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract (optional)
Beat the shortening and butter together until well combined. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes. With the mixer running on low, add extracts, and coconut milk until frosting is light and fluffy. You could add more coconut milk if you want a softer consistency.
- Garnish the frosted cupcakes with toasted shredded coconut.
More yummy recipes:
- Island Bites: White Chocolate & Strawberry Cupcakes
Moist and fluffy white chocolate cake with a fresh strawberry frosting. A delicious treat for this classic combination fans!
- Island Bites: Dulce de Leche Cupcakes
Nice and fluffy vanilla cupcakes with a rich and decadent dulce de leche filling.
- Island Bites: Almond Cupcakes
Light and fluffy almond cupcakes recipe.
- Island Bites: Polvorones (Puerto Rican Shortbread Cookies)
Polvorón is a dense and crumbly (shortbread-type) cookie, popular in Latin America, Spain and also Philippines.
- Island Bites: Banana & Walnuts Pancakes
A delicious twist on ordinary pancakes.