Island Bites: Halloween Cupcakes (recipes and decorating ideas)
Cupcakes are a great way to celebrate any occasion. This time, we are going to dress them up to spook everybody. Let's make some Halloween cupcakes!
First of all, let's bake some cupcakes...
- In a bowl, mix flour and cocoa until well combined. Melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a double boiler. Let it cool.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the melted chocolate. Add the eggs, one by one.
- Mix in oil, sour cream and vanilla.
- In 3 parts, alternately add the flour and the milk to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix until just combined.
- Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick tester comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting.
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup self-rising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee, room temperature
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter and almond extract, until smooth. Add sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- You could make any cake flavor you like and add food coloring to the batter for decorative purposes. I prefer a dark chocolate cake.
- Make sure you use black cupcake liners. You could also buy Halloween themed cupcake liners, but remember that most designs won't be as pretty or colorful after baked.
- Add orange food coloring to your frosting. Don't even try to make it black. Too much food coloring will make your food taste funny.
Click for more:
How to decorate your Halloween Cupcakes:
There are a lot of options to decorate your cupcakes. You can make them more kid-friendly, or you could totally make them the star of a spooky adult party.
- Halloween sprinkles are an economic and easy option to make pretty cupcakes. You can find sprinkles in the shape of bats, pumpkins, ghosts, cats, bones, etc. You could also use jimmies or nonpareils.
- Make fondant decorations. You can make any Halloween shape, decoration or figurine you want. You will need fondant, food coloring and edible markers. Let them dry for a couple of days to make sure they are hard enough to keep their shape.
- For kid-friendly decorations, you could make fondant pumpkins, witches hats or even ghosts. It can be a fun activity to do with your children.
- Fondant tombstones: Add black food coloring to white fondant to make gray fondant for the tombstones. Do not mix it completely to get a natural marbled look. Roll out the fondant (1/4 to 1/8 inch thick) and cut it with a paring knife, pizza cutter or cookie cutter. Let them dry for a couple of days. Use a black edible marker to write any message you want. Crush oreos to make dirt. Using white fondant, you could make skulls and bones.
- Eye balls: To make eye balls, make balls of white fondant. Roll out (green, blue or brown) fondant and cut small circles. Then roll out black fondant and cut smaller circles. Press a black dot to a colored circle to make pupils. With the tip of your finger or a small brush, wet a side of the white ball and glue a fondant circle to the eyeball. Let it dry completely. With a red edible marker, draw little veins.
- Severed fingers: Get a ball of flesh colored fondant. Roll it into a long log shape. Cut in the middle to make two fingers. With a toothpick, create creases in the fingers. You could use sliced almonds as the nails, or you could use fake nails to make an imprint where your nails would be. Glue little pieces of fondant in the shape of nails if you want. Let it dry. Add red coloring to look like blood.
Have you ever made Halloween Cupcakes?
More Cupcake Recipes
- Island Bites: Dulce de Leche Cupcakes
Nice and fluffy vanilla cupcakes with a rich and decadent dulce de leche filling.
- Island Bites: Almond Cupcakes
Light and fluffy almond cupcakes recipe.
- Island Bites: White Chocolate & Strawberry Cupcakes
Moist and fluffy white chocolate cake with a fresh strawberry frosting. A delicious treat for this classic combination fans!
- Island Bites: Coconut Cupcakes
Light and fluffy coconut cupcakes recipe.