One of the most popular dish to be ordered in Indian restaurants is Kadai chicken. But most of the Hindus being strict vegetarians so this is a variation of kadai chicken. In this dish we add paneer ( cottage cheese) instead of chicken. This dish is very popular with the vegetarian Indians as this dish not only tastes good but goes well with rotis and naan. In this dish paneer is cooked in tomato gravy along with spices to give it a unique taste and aroma. This dish is not only liked by adults but surprisingly children are very fond of this dish. So mothers who do not want to give meat to children on some day or ever, can try this dish and see the children licking their fingers.
Yield :-4 servings.
- Paneer: cut in to cubes 1 cup i.e. about ½ pounds.
- Onion: 1 finely chopped.
- Tomatoes: 2 large, diced.
- Capsicum / bell pepper: 1 green, diced.
- Ginger: 1 Tbsp chopped.
- Ginger: few julienned.
- Garlic cloves: 6
- Kasuri Methi: 1 Tsp.
- Coriander seeds: Whole 2 tbsp.
- Coriander Seeds: Crushed ½ Tbsp
- Turmeric Powder: ½ Tsp.
- Red chili: 3
- Green Chili: 5.
- Paprika; 1 Tsp.
- Coriander or cilantro leaves: chopped 5 Tbsp.
- Water: ½ cup.
- In a heavy base pan dry roast red chilies and coriander seeds till they start to give their unique aroma.
- Now take them off heat and let them cool.
- Once cooled coarsely grind them together.
- Now in the same pan heat oil.
- Add crushed coriander and chopped ginger.
- Stir for about 15 seconds and add chopped onions.
- Now sauté for few minutes till the onions are translucent.
- Add green chilies and all grounded spices along with crushed garlic.
- Stir for few minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix well.
- Add salt according to your taste and mix well. Cook it for few minutes.
- When tomatoes are cooked add capsicum and cook for couple of minutes.
- Add kasuri methi and paneer.
- Mix well.
- Add ½ cup water. Cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add julienned ginger.
- Cook till the gravy is nearly dry and paneer has soaked all the aroma.
- Now sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves on the dish.
- Serve hot with roti or naan.
More Vegetarian Recipes
- Bombay Potatoes Recipe.
This is very simple potato recipe & is used all over India & is basically a side dish but can be used as main dish too. It is very easy to make and makes any food very tasty. People carry this dish
- Aloo Gobhi Recipe.
Aloo Gobi is made with potatoes, cauliflower, and a great blend of spices. Aloo Gobi can be served with various breads, such as rotis, parathas, and puris. Aloo gobhi is liked by kids a lot. Try it.
- Gobhi Pakora: Cauliflower Pakora.
Gobhi pakoras are deep fried cauliflower florets. They are very tasty to eat and easy to make. One of the favorite of children & I loved eating it even today. Deep fried with besan they taste heavenly
- Mattar Paneer Recipe.
Mattar paneer ( cottage cheese) is a very tasty 100% vegetarian dish. Since most of Indians are strictly vegetarian and do not even eat eggs, so they have developed their own recipes for vegetables .