- Food and Cooking
Mattar Paneer Recipe
Mattar ( peas) paneer ( Indian cottage cheese) is a very tasty 100% vegetarian dish. Since most of Indians are strictly vegetarian and do not even eat eggs, so they have developed their own recipes for vegetables and this one is one of the tastiest ones. Very easy to make, ingredients easily available and don’t take much time to cook. It is usually served with Indian breads like roti or naan. This dish is very popular in North India and is well liked by children and adults alike. Since paneer is made from milk it is good source of protein and calcium. Thus this dish is healthy and since it is liked by children so it is good for the mothers who complain that their children don’t eat anything
1. Paneer / Indian cottage cheese: 250 grams / 9 oz cut in to 1 inch / 2.5 cm cubes.
2. Fresh / Frozen peas: 125 grams / 4 ½ oz
4. Cream: 2 Tbsp
5. Bay leaves: 2
6. Green cardamom pods: 4, bruised.
7. Onion: 1 large finely chopped.
8. Canned Tomatoes: 150 grams / 5 oz. deseeded and chopped.
9. Ginger Puree: 2 Tsp.
10. Garlic Puree: 2 Tsp.
11. Garam Masala: 1 tsp
12. Ground coriander/ cliantro: 2 Tsp.
13. Ground turmeric: ½ Tsp.
14. Red Chili Powder: 1 Tsp.
15. Water: 450ml / 15 fl oz.
16. Salt to taste.
17. Coriander leaves: Fresh Chopped 2 Tbsp.
Does this dish looks tasty and easy to make
1. Take a Medium size sauce pan (non stick).
2. Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in it.
3. On medium heat add paneer to the oil.
4. Fry it for 3 to 4 minutes stirring frequently.
5. When it is brown from all sides, drain it on kitchen paper.
6. Now add remaining 2 Tbsp of oil in the pan.
7. Reduce heat to low.
8. Add bay leaves and cardamom pods and gently stir for 30 seconds.
9. Add onions and increase heat to medium.
10. Cook onions for 4 to 5 minutes stirring occasionally till onions are soft.
11. Now add Garlic puree and Ginger Puree.
12. Now stirring frequently cook till onions are golden.
13. Now still frequently stirring add red chili powder, grounder coriander and grounded turmeric and cook for 1 minute.
14. Add chopped tomatoes.
15. Stirring frequently cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
16. Now add 2 Tbsp of warm water cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
17. Now you would see oil separate from the spice paste. If not then cook for a minute more.
18. Now in a separate pan warm 450 ml of water.
19. Add this warm water to the dish.
20. Add salt.
21. Now bring it to boil and then when it boils reduce heat to simmer.
22. Simmer it uncovered for 8 to 10 minutes.
23. Add paneer and peas to this.
24. Simmer more for 5 to 7 minutes.
25. Stir in garam masala, cream and fresh and chopped coriander leaves.
26. Remove from heat.
27. Serve hot with Naan or Roti.
1. Care should be taken that paneer is fried from all sides.
2. Make sure pan is heavy base.
In place of Paneer you can use Mushrooms too.. slice them and put in place of paneer and the dish would be called Matter Mushroom
More recipes from me
- Mussels with mustard seeds and shallots
Mussels can be found all over the world . They can be sea water or fresh water mussels. Despite mussels are found in abundance all over the world yet not many people eat them. They are not only delicious to eat but also healthy. Before cooking mussel
- Tuscan Chicken
Tuscan chicken is a popular chicken dish in the Korean region. It is dry so no gravy in this chicken. It is usually eaten in dinner. This recipe of chicken has lots of tomatoes and mushrooms in it along with some other vegetables so it is healthy foo
- Pan Fried Chicken with Cilantro
Easy to make chicken dish. Loved by children and adults alike. Can be used as snack or main dish. Not only it is very tasty but also very healthy with very less oil used.
- Chicken And Orange Salad
This is also known as Roast Chicken Salad with Orange Dressing. It is very easy to make. Takes only a few minutes to make and is very healthy. It has got right combination of meat, vegetables and fruits. It is very tasty and children would love to ea